Subject: Announcing Jmol 0.6

From: Dan Gezelter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:09:11 +0000 (GMT)

The Jmol development team is pleased to announce the availability of
version 0.6 of Jmol.  Jmol is a free, Open Source, collaboratively
developed visualization and measurement tool for chemical scientists.
Users are encouraged to modify the source code it to fit their needs
and to contribute their modifications back to the community.  

Jmol can read files of the following types:

   * ACES II
   * ADF - Amsterdam Density Functional
   * GAMESS
   * g92 - Gaussian 92
   * g94 - Gaussian 94
   * g98 - Gaussian 98
   * single- and multi-frame XYZ (xmol)
   * PDB (ATOM and HETATM entries only)
   * CML (Chemical Markup Language)
   
Jmol has a number of useful features for chemical dynamics:

   * Jmol can be used to animate the results of simulations that are in
     the multi-frame XYZ format.
   * Jmol can be used to measure inter-atomic distances, bond angles,
     and dihedral angles from atomic coordinates as a simulation
     progresses.
   * Jmol can animate the computed normal modes from any of the ab
     initio quantum chemistry packages mentioned above.
   * Jmol can display vectors (velocity, dipole, etc.), charges, atomic
     symbols, or atomic indexes during animation.
   * Jmol can export high quality images of molecules in a
     very efficient manner.

Jmol can export images of the following types:

   * GIF (if the displayed image is 8 bit)
   * JPG
   * PPM

More information and download instructions can be found at the Jmol
home page: 

   http://www.openscience.org/jmol

 --Dan Gezelter

***********************************************************************
  J. Daniel Gezelter
  Assistant Professor                                        Director
  University of Notre Dame                    The OpenScience Project

  [email-masked]                          [email-masked]
  http://www.nd.edu/~jgezelte              http://www.openscience.org
***********************************************************************

---

From: WeiQuan Tian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:43:34 -0500 (EST)

Dr. Gezelter:

 The *.tar.gz and *.zip files in Jmol web page are excutable or source
code? If source code, is there any particular requirement for compiler?

 Thanks for more visualization programs!

 Wei Quan Tian
 Univ. of Guelph
 Canada

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Dan Gezelter wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> 
>