Subject: grants available

From: Emilio Benfenati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:21:33 +0100

Dear colleagues,
I'd like to inform you about the availability of fellowships for graduated
students (Pre and Postdoctors) inside the European Community.
More details are presented below.

NOTICE
Pre- and Postdoctoral positions offered

Applications are invited from young researchers with an interest in joining
a four-year (2000-2003) EU network project aimed at the development of
models to predict toxicity, starting Spring 2000.
The network consists of laboratories (see the list below) working in
toxicology, computational chemistry and computer science.
Grants are available to work in one of the seven laboratories of the Network.
Grant will be from 1650 to 4320 euro/month, depending on qualification,
experience and location. Pre-doc positions are compatible with PhD studies.

Interested candidates should send an application including CV, summary of
research interests and preferred location to:
Dr Emilio Benfenati
Head, Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche "Mario Negri"
Via Eritrea 62, 20157 Milano, Italy
Tel: +39-02-39014420   Fax: +39-02-39001916
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.irfmn.mnegri.it/ambsal/chem-toxi/Default.htm

Network Title: Intelligent Modelling Algorithms for the General Evaluation
of TOXicities
Network Short Title: IMAGETOX

The Co-ordinator

Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche "Mario Negri", Laboratory of
Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology, Milan, Italy

Contact person:
Dr Emilio Benfenati
e-mail: [email-masked]

The Members

Dr. M. Cronin, Liverpool John Moores University, School of Pharmacy and
Chemistry, United Kingdom ([email-masked])

Prof. J. Hermens, Utrecht University, Research Institute of Toxicology,
Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, The Netherlands ([email-masked])

Prof. G. Gini, Politecnico di Milano, Dipartimento di Elettronica e
Informazione, Italy ([email-masked])

Dr. M. Vracko, National Institute of Chemistry, Ljubljana, Slovenia
([email-masked])

Prof. G. Schüürmann, UFZ Centre for Environmental Research, Leipzig,
Germany ([email-masked])

Prof. M. Karelson, University of Tartu, Department of Chemistry, Estonia
([email-masked]).

Conditions

The researcher must be 35 years old or less at the time of his appointment
(allowances are possible for special cases).

The researcher must be a holder of a doctoral degree or of a degree in an
appropriate subject.

The appointment will be for a fixed-term.

The applicant must be a national of a Member State of the European
Community or of an Associated State or have resided in the European
Community for at least five years prior to his appointment.

The applicant must not be a national of the state in which the
participant's research team appointing him is located and he must not have
carried out his normal activities in that state for more than 12 of the 24
months prior to his appointment.

Research Program

The present project aims to improve the power of models for toxicity
prediction. It will take advantage of the recent advances in techniques in
computer science (such as multivariate analysis, neural networks, expert
systems, machine learning, and simulated annealing). These will be applied
to the validation (verifying the robustness of reported models and new
predictive ones) and development for real world applications.
Different models will be developed for (eco)toxicology and for
environmental fate prediction. For (eco)toxicology different species will
be considered, as well as different mechanisms of toxic action.
In environmental fate, partitioning between compartments in the environment
and into biota will be studied, as well as degradation.

Emilio Benfenati

***********************************************************
Dr Emilio Benfenati
Head, Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche "Mario Negri"
Via Eritrea 62, 20157 Milano, Italy
Tel: +39-02-39014420   Fax: +39-02-39001916
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.irfmn.mnegri.it/ambsal/chem-toxi/Benfenati.htm
http://www.irfmn.mnegri.it/ambsal/chem-toxi/Default.htm
http://www.elet.polimi.it/AAAI-PT for AAAI Symp Predictive Toxicology
***********************************************************