Subject: re: code diversity (unifying, etc)

From: Joe M Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:35:48 -0500 (EST)

Folks,

I think a reasonable argument could be made for those who create
chemistry codes should work together to try and create a program
which can read/write files in various formats.  Microsoft, it seems,
has tried to lock customers in through the use of unpublished
formats - if this is so, it's one "business technique" which would
sorta annoy this community if people tried to use it.  I also think
this is not a huge-expense item.

However, if one is going to talk about standardizing a GUI:

1) What non-commercial, preferrable international organization would
   create the standard?

2) What enforcement mechanisms would be in place to insure
   compliance?

3) Who is going to pay for getting the GUI of pretty much every
   chemistry code changed - especially if this extends to the
   command-line and param-files as well?

4) Is interface design going to be credited towards PhD work?

Just some things to think about.l..

Joe Leonard

P.S. Sorry for the low-tech mail system :-).

[email-masked]