Subject: AMD DEMONSTRATES 1.1GHz AMD ATHLON[tm] PROCESSOR

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:19:39 -0800 (PST)

(((Apart from higher clock, next AMD offering has a large on-die L2 
   cache running at full speed, and will be able to use 266 DDR
   (double data rate) RAMs. Fastest current RAMs can only do 133 MHz.
   The CPU is socketed, not slotted, and it is thus incompatible to 
   current Athlons.

   I apologize if this is somewhat off-topic, but this hardware is
   imo especially suitable for float-intensive codes.

Regards,

Eugene Leitl

))).

http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/20054.html

AMD DEMONSTRATES 1.1GHz AMD ATHLON[tm] PROCESSOR 

- AMD Athlon[tm] Processor Built on Advanced Copper Technology
Shatters GigaHertz (1000MHz) Barrier-

SUNNYVALE, CA--February 7, 2000--AMD today demonstrated a 1.1 GHz(1100
MHz) version of the AMD Athlon[tm] processor manufactured in its Fab
30 facility in Dresden, Germany. The demonstration featured the newest
version of the AMD Athlon processor that integrates high-performance
on-die Level 2 (L2) cache. The device is manufactured utilizing AMD's
leading-edge HiP6L 0.18 micron process technology featuring copper
interconnects. The demonstration required no special cooling
techniques and was shown in conjunction with a presentation at the
International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC).

"The demonstration of a 1.1GHz AMD Athlon processor manufactured in
AMD's Dresden facility shows we are executing on our process
technology and Dresden production roadmaps," said Larry Hollatz, group
vice president of Computation Products at AMD. "We continue to
aggressively advance the technologies that enable future AMD
processors to deliver superior performance levels."

AMD continues to expect first revenues from AMD Athlon family
processors produced in Fab 30 utilizing its leading edge HiP6L 0.18
copper interconnect technology at the end of the second quarter of
2000.