Subject: Re: CCL:authorship

From: "Anthony J. Duben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 08:27:39 -0600

At 12:16 PM 3/5/00 GMT, C. Yang wrote:
>Yesterday, I happen to have a dinner with some biology people.
>Someone showed the first draft of her paper and I noticed for the
>first time that there was an astrix on two authors with a footnote
>saying equal contributors. Then there was an argument that mentioning
>equal contributors  is common in publishing papers. But I do not
>remember seeing as equal contributiors in computational chemistry
>papers. I tried to tell that it might be common in biology, but someone
>vehemently disagreed with me and arguing that it is common in science and
>nature as well, so it is common in all the areas. Is there someone to make
>comment on this. Thanks.
>Parthi
>
>PS: if two authors have equal contribution, will it be considered both
>as primary authors and can the second author who is also an equal
>contributor can write his name as first author of the paper in his CV.
>______________________________________________________
>
>
>

Sounds to me like the authors are working in fairly hostile environment
for tenure and promotion.  

Anthony J. Duben ([email-masked])
********************************************************
Anthony J. Duben
Professor and Chairman
Computer Science Dept., MS 5950
Southeast Missouri State University
1 University Plaza
Cape Girardeau MO 63701-4799
phone:  573-651-2194
fax:         573-651-2791 
e-mail: [email-masked]
  or        [email-masked]

"Education is not the filling of a pail
  but the lighting of a fire."
		  -- William Butler Yeats