Subject: linux

From: Ulrike Salzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:51:08 +0300 (EET)

Hi Linux fans,

I am experimenting with linux in Pentium computers. The main goal is 
using Gaussian. But I am running into various problems. I have installed 
Red Hat 6.1 on one computer and WinLinux on another. In both cases Linux 
does not seem to have a driver for my VGA card: S3 Trio 3D/2X. Has 
anybody found a driver for this card?

WinLinux (from www.winlinux.net) boots with the above card but gives the 
error "PCI .....  at IRQ 0, which is unlikely to work". So I could not 
connect to the net. Next I tried a "cold boot" which is in the trouble 
shooting utility. This forces a configuration for an unkown card. 
Afterwards networking is possible but the display is very bad (uni color 
in netscape).

Having reached this this point, I installed compilers and libraries for 
G98. Unfortunately "bldg98" is written for the C-shell and WinLinux comes 
only with "bash". I am afraid that rewriting the skripts will create 
problems without end. Therefore I would like to find out whether the 
C-shell can be added to WinLinux.

Has anybody installed G98 on WinLinux? I am very excited about WinLinux 
because it allows easy intallation of Linux and use of the computer 
alternatively with Linux or Windows without formatting or partitioning of 
the hard disk.

Help will be greatly appreciated,
Uli Salzner
===================================================================

Dr. Ulrike Salzner

Department of Chemistry		Tel.: (312) 290-2122
Bilkent University		Fax.: (312) 266-5097
06533 Bilkent, Ankara 		e-mail: [email-masked]
Turkey

====================================================================

---

From: Jochen Küpper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:40:54 +0100 (CET)

Ulrike Salzner writes:

Hi Uli,

 > anybody found a driver for this card?

What's the chip on it ?  Is that one of the 128's ? IIRC, these are
not supported by XFree86. I haven't checked lately.
You might wanna look at the commmercial X Servers, but it might be
cheaper too buy a different card ( $30 should be enough :-)

 > Afterwards networking is possible but the display is very bad (uni color 

Sounds like it's getting more similar to Windoze ;-(

 > C-shell can be added to WinLinux.

Install tcsh, if it really isn't yet.

Jochen
-- 
Heinrich-Heine-Universität
Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
Jochen Küpper
Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43 Raum 02.29
40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone ++49-211-8113681, fax ++49-211-8115195
http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de

---

From: Wang Xiaogang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:12:35 -0500

Dear CCLers,

 The question is about how to handle large array in fortran 90.
 
 An example:
 
 program
 real*8 a(10000,10000)  ! an 800MB array
 common /test/a
 end

 However on one SGI origin2000, MIPSpro Fortran 90 Version 7.3,
the compiling fails.

 On another SGI origin2000, Ragnarok Compilers: Version 6.2,
the compiling passes.
 It also passes on DEC Alpha with Digital f90 compiler.

 It seems that the SGI f90 compiler (version 7.3) puts the common block
data to the stack segment instead of data segment. The error message
is 'exceeds 268,435,455 bytes, the maximum storage size available'

Any hints? Thanks.

Xiaogang

------------------------------------------------
Dr Xiaogang Wang 
Departement de chimie 
Universite de Montreal
C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-ville
Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7

Tel. (514) 3436111 ext. 3947 (office)
FAX  (514) 3437586 (office)
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/~xgwang/
------------------------------------------------

---

From: El Alchemista <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:53:17 -0700 (MST)

Try:

f90 -64 program.f90

The 64 bit option is used to handle large arrays. I have compiled --for
testing purposes-- much larger arrays.

Jaime Combariza