Subject: Re: Ph.D. in Comp.Chem in Canada

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:53:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Ismail Badran wrote:

> Hi
> 
> Could any one help me in finding a univeristy that
> offer the Ph.D in computational chemistry in canada
> 
> best ragrards
> Ismail Badran
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
> http://im.yahoo.com
> 

[I am sending a copy to the list, in case someone else has something to add]

The question is sort of ill-posed. The Universities usually do not have
formal Computational Chemistry Ph.D. programs/degrees. Though obviously a
few have. You usually get a Ph.D. in Chemistry, rather than
Ph.D. in Some Chemistry. The Universities have research groups which
you can join and get your Ph.D by having your Thesis on topic in the
computational chemistry field. The way to learn about who is doing what and
where, is to go to your chemistry library, grab the Directory Of Graduate
Research Of American Chemical Society, and look up the interests of chemistry,
pharmacy, biochemistry, etc., faculty members. In addition (or if you do not 
access to the Am.Chem.Soc. Directory, since it is getting expensive), you can
start from the general entry page for each university of interest (here Canada)
      www.something.ca
and then look for academics/academic-departments --> chemistry --> 
research-interests. Then when you find a faculty member who does something
which is really of interest to you, you contact him/her but you look informed
and decided, rather than: "How can I do Ph.D. in comp chem?"  For example:
"I am interested in doing my Ph.D. in this and that.
I have read the books.... I attended the following courses...
I did following undergraduate projects, etc.
Do you have a Ph.D. program in computational/theoretical chemistry and
whom should I contact about joining? I am interested in working in your
group since you do this and that which is of great interest..."

And a professor will usually tell you something since you poured balsam on his
ego... Again, content free questions will get you nowhere. You need to know
what you want, before you can ask a useful question..

As to Canada, I did some homework for you, but did not get very far.
Those are examples of general Faculty listing for Chemistry Departments, 
particular pages of particular faculty members, and some generic
entry pages for some Canadian Universities. And if the chemistry
department does not have the pertinent information about its faculty,
and the faculty member (in comp. chem.) does not have his/her interest
on the Web, do not bother... They do not want you, so stay away...

Below is just a random (RANDOM!!! Sorry guys, I did not list  you all {;-)})
example of what you can find on the net. Now is your turn to do the chores...

http://www.artsci-ccwin.concordia.ca/facstaff/p-r/peslherbe/
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/science/chemistry/staff/staff_de/cullen.html
http://www.cerca.umontreal.ca/profs/salahub.html
http://www.chem.queensu.ca/people/faculty/Research.htm
http://www.uwo.ca/chem/research.html#Activities
http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/people/academic.html
http://www.chem.yorku.ca/grad/chemgrad.htm#faculty
http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/group/master.html
http://www.cpes.uoguelph.ca/
http://www.brocku.ca/chemistry/people/
http://www.chem.ualberta.ca/facres.htm
http://www.trentu.ca/chemistry/chemfaculty.html
www.dal.ca
www.unb.ca
www.ulaval.ca
www.concordia.ca
www.bc.ca
www.nb.ca
www.mcmaster.ca
www.uottawa.ca
www.ubc.ca
www.uregina.ca

Jan Labanowski
[email-masked]