Subject: PSC BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE WORKSHOPS 2000

From: Troy Wymore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:38:42 -0500 (EST)

*************************************************************
PSC BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE WORKSHOPS 2000

Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center's (PSC)Biomedical Initiative is hosting four
NIH-sponsored training workshops this summer.  We are asking your help once
again in passing this information on to other researchers who might be
interested in applying.

Brief descriptions of the sessions are below but full details, including
on-line application forms, may be found at our Web site:

http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/workshops.htm

In addition, the web site for each individual workshop is cited following the
respective description.

        METHODS AND APPLICATIONS OF MOLECULAR DYNAMICS TO BIOPOLYMERS
	JUNE 4-7 
	Application Deadline:  April 21

This workshop will familiarize biomedical researchers with computational
methods and provide practice in applying supercomputing  resources to problems
of concern in molecular dynamics.  There will be lectures, extensive  hands-on
sessions, and discussion of general aspects of molecular dynamic software.
CHARMM will be discussed in detail.  Participants  are encouraged to work on
the examples provided or on their own experimental data.  No prior
supercomputing experience is necessary.

For specific details, including an electronic application form, see:

	http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/workshops.htm#MAMD

             BUILDING COMPUTING CLUSTERS FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH
	     JULY 13-15 
 	     Application Deadline:  June 1

This workshop will provide a thorough discussion of the design, assembly, and
maintenance of small (< 100 nodes) computing clusters, including relevant
software and technical details. It will begin with a discussion of parallel
programming to provide a context for the basic issues; proceed to an overview
of components and definitions of common terms; and conclude with performance
discussions for several known biomedical applications. A hands-on session in
which participants will interact with a small "demo" cluster, submitting jobs
through a scheduler and monitoring job and cluster status will be included.
Among the discussion topics will be: "How do I get the best performance for my
money?" "What hardware is appropriate for my application?" "How do I administer
my cluster?" and "What should I do about security?"

For specific details, including an electronic application form, see:

http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/workshops.htm#biomedcluster2000

                      STRUCTURE DETERMINATION USING NMR
		      JULY 26-29 
		      Application Deadline:  June 14

The objective of this workshop is to introduce participants to the different
techniques for the elucidation of solution structures of biological
macromolecules from nuclear magnetic resonance data. The programs AMBER and
MORASS will be discussed. In addition to lectures, there will be extensive
hands-on sessions.  Participants are encouraged to work on the examples
provided or on their own experimental data. No prior supercomputing experience
is necessary. 

For specific details, including an electronic application form, see:

http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/workshops.htm#NMR

                 NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS
		 AUGUST 13-18 
		 Application Deadline: June 30
                              
This intense five-day workshop will teach the basics of sequence analysis,
including: remote supercomputing; inferring structures and functions using
internet alignments; pattern identification; inverse structure prediction; and
visualization of macromolecular structures. Special emphasis will be  placed on
parameter selection and the mathematical and statistical  properties of the
algorithms and methods presented. Information will also be provided on the
latest pattern identification techniques, including hidden Markov models,
advanced position-specific weight matrix techniques, and bayesan estimation.

For specific details, including an electronic application form, see:

http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/workshops.htm#NAPSA

If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Blankenstein at
[email-masked] or
412/268-4960 (FAX).

Many thanks for your interest and help.
 
*******************************************************************************