Subject: SYMPOSIUM ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

From: David Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 10:22:40 -0500

SYMPOSIUM ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS 

QSAR in vivo

to be held at the American Chemical Society Meeting in Washington, DC 
August 20-24, 2000

Sponsored by the Division of Computers in Chemistry

Theoretical treatments of quantitative structure/activity 
relationship (QSAR) analysis methods are generally statistical in
nature, and so focus on very "clean" cell-free assays, usually
involving highly purified enzymes.  Many of the day-to-day
applications of such methods, however, involve individual living
cells, tissue culture or intact higher organisms.  Biological
processes such as cytotoxicity, secondary inhibitions, changes in the
levels of non-target metabolites, uptake and metabolism can influence
the results one obtains in such situations, which often necessitates
changes in validation, interpretation, or methodology.  This symposium
will focus on practical ways of getting useful and reliable results
out of such work, with primary emphases on case studies, anecdotal
insights, and "tricks of the trade" rather than on spectacular
statistics per se.       

The deadline for filing a full abstract is 1 May 2000, but it would be
useful for scheduling if you could notify me of your intent to do so
sooner.  Please use OASys (
http://www.acs.org/meetings/abstract/absdown.html ) for abstract
submission if at all possible.  Otherwise, you can fill out the MS
Word template provided there and e-mail it to me.