Subject: Is CML dead?

From: David van der Spoel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 21:51:27 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Last year in May there was a vivid discussion on the CCL about using
XML/CML for storing chemical information. I recently checked up the
website http://www.xml-cml.org and it seems quite dead... 
The only software available is a bunch of java classes and the CML DTD
(DocumentTypeDescription).

If I would like to read or write CML/XML files from my programs written in
C or Fortran do I have to write a complete library to do it? If I would do
that, would others be interested to use it in their software? To extend
the library? 

Groeten, David.
________________________________________________________________________
Dr. David van der Spoel		Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
s-mail:	Husargatan 3, Box 576,  75123 Uppsala, Sweden
e-mail: [email-masked]	www: http://zorn.bmc.uu.se/~spoel
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: "Rzepa, Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:26:05 +0100

>that, would others be interested to use it in their software? To extend

The site is not dead!  We will very shortly be mounting a  CML schema,
which can be used to validate CML documents, and we currently have
an article in the process of being refereed. Once (if!) accepted, this
will address several of the issues raised above
-- 

Henry Rzepa. Imperial College, Chemistry Dept.
+44 171 594 5774 (Office) +44 171 594 5804 (Fax)