Subject: CCL:Sum: nonlinear regressions

From: Jochen Kuepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:45:48 +0200 (CEST)

>>>>> "govindan" == govindan subramanian <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Dear CCl'ers, A few wanted me to summarize the replies to the
    > CCL list.  Here it comes, and thanks to the five people who took
    > time to respond.

    > 4.  Roy Jensen Excel and Quattro Pro can fit to non-linear
    > functions. They are not free but you probably have one on your
    > computer. I have found the Excel Solver to be very stable.

There have been repeatedly scientific articles on numerical
instabilities with Excel. Basically every non-trivial numerical
calculation within Excel will loose up to all (!) significant figures
--- the last article tested some recent Office versions. I don't have
the article handy, but you should be able to find it by searching your
library system. (I can look it up, if it really cannot be found ;-)

Jochen
-- 
Heinrich-Heine-Universität
Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
Jochen Küpper
Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43 Raum 02.29
40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
phone ++49-211-8113681, fax ++49-211-8115195
http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de