Subject: Re: CCL:Call for papers - Arts and tech symposium

From: "marc zimmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:58:49 -0400

CALL FOR PAPERS, MUSIC COMPOSITIONS,
PRESENTATIONS, ART WORKS, THEATER, DANCE,
SCIENTIFIC VISUALIZATIONS AND INTERACTIVE INSTALLATIONS

THE EIGHTH BIENNIAL SYMPOSIUM ON ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY
March 1-3, 2001

THEME: FEEDBACK: Perception and Interaction in the Electronic Arts

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: NOVEMBER 15, 2000

The Connecticut College Center for Arts and Technology is pleased to
announce The Eighth Biennial Symposium on Arts and Technology, March
1-3, 2001.  The symposium will consist of paper sessions, panel
discussions, art exhibitions, music concerts, animations, mixed media
works, video, dance, experimental theater and scientific visualization.
In an effort to demystify the artistic process and create a forum for
dialogue, we are encouraging all presenters and artists to attend the
symposium and speak about their work.

The Center encourages research papers and presentations in the specific
area of "FEEDBACK: Perception and Interaction in the Electronic Arts"
and in the general areas of Interactivity, Virtual Reality, Cognition,
Information Technologies, Applications in Video and Film, Music
(composition, performance, theory, interactivity, etc.), Experimental
Theater, Compositional Process, Innovative Use of Technology in
Education, Computer Simulations of Physical Phenomena, Scientific
Visualization and Social and Ethical Issues in Arts and Technology.
All submissions should be accompanied by a one page abstract for a
presentation about the work and each application should be prepared to
attend the symposium and make a presentation (paper, poster session,
short talk) about their work.

Papers and Presentations:
A detailed two-page abstract or complete paper including complete
technical requirements should be submitted by email or mail.  Upon
acceptance, finished papers must be submitted electronically following
the specific format of the symposium or in camera-ready form by January
15, 2001: Word, 10-12 font size, 8.5 x 11 sheet.  Papers may be grouped
in panel format. Complete technical requirements must be included.
Papers will be published by the Center.

Music Compositions:
Works for instruments and tape, or tape alone, or interactive
compositions are being solicited. Available instruments are: flute
(doubling on piccolo), oboe, clarinet (doubling on bass clarinet),
bassoon, trumpet, horn, trombone, percussion (two players), guitar,
string bass, piano, voice and strings (2,1,1,1).

Works should not exceed 15 minutes in length and should be submitted
with accompanying score, where appropriate.  Tapes for selection
purposes should be on cassette, CD's or DAT.  Tapes for performance
should be CD, ADAT or DAT.  Video works should be 3/4 inch Umatic or 1/2
inch VHS.  Musicians, dancers and actors may be available for live
performance pieces. All submissions should be accompanied by a one page
abstract for a presentation at the symposium about the work.  Complete
technical requirements must be included.

Artworks:
Works of computer-generated or computer-aided art, or
computer-controlled interactive art are encouraged.  Animations, video
or other works of computer art on tape will be shown in concert settings
and less formal settings throughout the Symposium.  All submissions
should be accompanied by a one page abstract for a presentation at the
symposium about the work. Slides, CD-ROM,  or video (VHS) and complete
descriptions of works must be included.   Art works accepted for
exhibition must be received by January 15 for inclusion in the
pre-symposium gallery showing, February 5 ? March 5. Complete technical
requirements must be included.

Dance and Theater Studies:
Computer-generated or -aided dance and theater is being solicited for
live demonstrations or for videotaped presentations.  Specially produced
dance or theater videos are of particular interest as opposed to concert
tapes or other archival uses of video.  Also of interest are proposals
for workshops, demonstrations of software for dance or theater
notation,  choreographic analysis,  interactive studies and/or
multi-media studies of performance in dance &  theater.  All submissions
should be accompanied by a one page abstract for a presentation at the
symposium about the work.  Videotapes or complete descriptions of
demonstration or workshop proposals should be submitted by the general
deadline of November 15, 2000.  Tapes for selection purposes should be
VHS.  Complete technical requirements must be included.

Panels:
Proposals for panels are encouraged.  Proposals should include
prospective panelists and should be directed to the theme or new issues
in collaborative work, as well as ethical issues in arts and technology.

Scientific Visualizations:
Submissions are solicited for computer animations and virtual realities
used to visualize complex scientific processes.  Special emphasis will
be given to works emphasizing  artistic content or educational modules.
Submissions should be on CD-ROM or Zip disk format. All submissions
should be accompanied by a one page abstract for a presentation at the
symposium about the work.  Complete technical requirements must be
included.

GENERAL INFORMATION ON SUBMISSIONS

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 15, 2000

All music, art, VR, visualization, multi-media installations, workshops,
dance and  theater submissions should be accompanied by a one page
abstract for a presentation about the work.

Technical information: Complete technical requirements must be included
for all submissions.  Please specify platform (MAC, PC-Windows, SGI).

Notification: Accepted proposals will be notified by December 22, 2000.

Return: Submissions, art works, slides, tapes, scores, videos will only
be returned if a self-addressed stamped envelope or packaging is
provided.

Send submissions to:
Center for Arts and Technology
Box 5365
Connecticut College
270 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT USA 06320-4196
phone: [860] 439-2001
email:  [email-masked]