Subject: International Conference (fwd)

From: Rajesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:16:05 +0530 (IST)

Dear colleagues

I am sending you an announcement of a proposed Internatioanl Conference on
Science, Technology and Mathematics Education for Human Development to be
held in Goa, INDIA from Febrayry 20-23, 2001. Please circulate it among
the members on your list. I would appreciate if you could mark a copy to
[email-masked].

Sincerely,
S.C.Agarkar
**************************************************************************
Dr. Sudhakar C. Agarkar, Research Scientist (F)
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
V. N. Purav Road, Mankhurd,
Mumbai MAH 400 088, INDIA
Tel:+91-22-556 7711 (wk);  +91-251-332 521 (hm)
Fax:+91-22-556 6803  Email:[email-masked]
URL:http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in/sca.html
**************************************************************************

CASTME - UNESCO - HBCSE
International Conference
On Science, Technology & Mathematics Education
For Human Development

Goa, India
February 20 - 23,  2001

Sponsored by

United Nations Educational, Scientific & Cultural Organization
Commonwealth Foundation, UK
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR, Mumbai, India
Department for International Development, UK
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India
Department of Science and Technology, Government of India
Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi, India
Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, India
 
The Conference

This international conference originally planned for New Delhi is being
organised at Goa jointly by the Commonwealth Association of Science,
Technology and Mathematics Educators (CASTME) and United Nations
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) through its
Project 2000+ in collaboration with the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science
Education (HBCSE), TIFR, Mumbai. The conference will focus on Scientific
and Technological Literacy (STL) under the broad theme of the role of
Science, Technology and Mathematics Education for Human Development. The
Conference aims at providing a forum to educational planners,
administrators, teacher educators, teachers and researchers in science,
technology and mathematics education to exchange ideas on various themes
focussing on the role of science, technology and mathematics education in
human development. The Conference will also review achievements of the
Project 2000+, a project launched in 1993 by UNESCO and International
Council of Associations for Science Education (ICASE), in collaboration
with Commonwealth Secretariat, Gender and Science and Technology (GASAT),
International Organization for Science and Technology Education (IOSTE),
International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) and World Council of
Associations of Technology Education (WOCATE).

The conference will deliberate on the following issues:

Curriculum reforms for human development
Assessment and examinations
Learner-centered professional staff development
Scientific and technological literacy for all including strategies for teaching
Popularization,  public understanding and life long learning
Affordable cost-effective technologies and infrastructure
Bridging the gulf between research and classroom practices
Empowerment of women
Ethics, human rights and culture of peace

It is expected that a framework for effective implementation of policies
regarding science, technology and mathematics education and Project 2000+
will emerge from the conference. A regional branch of CASTME will also be
established during the conference.

Programme Outline

The conference is designed to elicit maximum interaction among the
participants. It will comprise:

* Keynote and plenary presentations
* Parallel sessions	
* Workshops
* Poster sessions
* Panel discussions
* Display of products and services
* Visits to scientific establishments and other places of interest in and around Goa

Conference Venue

The conference will be held in Goa, the beautiful state on the west coast
of India.  Goa is well known for its beaches, its pleasant climate, its
scenic splendour and its wonderful culture, a blend of the East and the
West. There will be ample opportunities for sightseeing and exploring. Pre
and post conference tour packages will be available.

Accommodation

Hotel accommodation of different types will be made available near the
venue of the conference to suit the needs of individuals.

Conference Fee

A conference registration fee of US$ 250 will be charged from foreign
participants. Participants from India will pay a registration fee Rs.1000.
The registration fee will cover transport between airport and hotel,
lunch, tea/coffee and conference material.

Important Dates

1. Deadline for sending proposals:			August 31, 2000
2. Communication of acceptance of proposals:		September 30, 2000
3. Deadline for application for financial support:	October 31, 2000
4. Communication regarding financial assistance:	November 30, 2000
5. Deadline for payment of registration fee:		December 15, 2000
6. Cancellation of registration with refund:		December 31, 2000

Further Information

Further information about the conference can be obtained from: 

Dr. Sudhakar  Agarkar
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
V.N. Purav Marg, Mankhurd,
Mumbai 400 088, INDIA
Tel:+91-22-556 7711, Fax:+91-22-556 6803
E-mail: [email-masked]

Dr. Ved Goel
Science Technology and Maths. Education
Commonwealth Secretariat
Marlborough House
Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5HX, UK
Tel:+44-20-7747 6282; Fax:+44-20-7747 6287
Email: [email-masked]

Mr. Orlando Hall Rose
Section for Science and Technology Education
UNESCO
7 Place de Fontenoy
75352 Paris 07SP, FRANCE
Tel:+33-1-4568 0816; Fax:+33-1-4568 5626
Email: [email-masked]

The conference website is at http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in/icstme.html.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CASTME-UNESCO-HBCSE International Conference 
on Science, Technology & Mathematics Education
for Human Development

Goa, India
February 20 - 23, 2001

RESPONSE FORM

I wish to (please tick)

Present a paper entitled
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Conduct a workshop for____ participants on the topic
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Conduct a poster session on
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Display product/services in the exhibition on
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Signature _________________________ Date___________________________

Name:___________________________________________________________________________
Institutional Address:________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tel: ____________________ Fax:_________________ E-mail:_________________________

Please send your response by July 15, 2000 to :

Conference Secretariat
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
V.N. Purav Marg, Mankhurd,
Mumbai 400 088, INDIA
Tel:+91-22-556 7711, Fax:+91-22-556 6803
E-mail: [email-masked]

Note: Make additional copies of this form, if necessary.