Subject: 00.08.17 Aspects of Electronic and nanomaterials Modeling, Dayton, OH

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:46:43 -0400 (EDT)

ASPECTS OF ELECTRONIC AND NANOMATERIALS MODELING
                      Special session in the MAPINT 2000 Meeting
                             Dayton OH, August 17, 2000

The Programming Environment and Training (PET) initiative within the Department
of Defense High Performance Computing Modernization Program is pleased to 
announce a day long meeting on material science modeling as applied to current
engineering issues in electronic devices, nanostructures and MEMS.  This 
session is part of a three day symposium entitled Multidisciplinary 
Applications and Interoperable Computing (MAPINT 2000).

  When: 1:30 - 6:00 p.m. August 17, 2000 
  Where: The Engineers Club of Dayton, 110 East Monument Ave., Dayton, OH 45402 

The focus / prospectus of this session will be to:

  - discuss important DoD issues relating to computational modeling of
    electronic and nanoelectronic materials 
  - explore the interdisciplinary multiscale nature of materials design for
    electronic devices and microscopic electrical / mechanical systems 
  - promote collaboration between the DoD, academic and industrial
    research communities to address these important research objectives 

AGENDA:

  1:30 - 2:00 p.m.  Dan Johnstone (AFOSR)  "3D Superlattices"
  2:00 - 2:30 p.m.  Anna Balazs (Pittsburgh)  "Behavior of Nanoscopic Rods in a
                    Polymer Blend: Implications for Creating Conducting 
                    Pathways in Composites"
  2:30 - 3:00 p.m.  William A. Goddard (CalTech)  "Multiscale modeling (from 
                    first principles to continuum) for Electronic and 
                    Nanoelectronic Materials"
  3:00 - 3:30 p.m.  David Ceperley (UIUC)  "Quantum Monte Carlo Methods for 
                    Studying Electron Correlation"
  3:30 - 4:00 p.m.  break
  4:00 - 4:30 p.m.  Narayana Aluru (UIUC)  "Meshless Computational Methods for 
                    Analysis of MEMS and Bio-MEMS"
  4:30 - 5:00 p.m.  Farid Abraham (IBM)  "Cracking a Tough Nut with a Big 
                    Computer: Computer Simulation of Rapid Materials Failure"
  5:00 - 5:30 p.m.  Priya Vashishta (LSU)  "Multimillion atom MD simulation of 
                    silicon/silicon nitride nanopixel and interfacial fracture"
  5:30 - 6:00 p.m.  Shashi Karna (AFRL)  "First Principles Atomic Scale 
                    Simulations in Nanoelectronics: Successes and Challenges"

REGISTRATION:

Please Register Online at: 

        http://www.asc.hpc.mil/PET/MAPINT/MAPINT2000/registration.html

Early Registration (prior to Aug. 5, 2000):
  Full MAPINT registration (Aug. 15-17) ........... $250.00
  Single Day registration ......................... $125.00

Late Registration (Aug. 5, 2000 and beyond):
  Full MAPINT registration (Aug. 15-17) ........... $300.00
  Single Day registration ......................... $150.00

Unfonrtunately credit cards can not be processed.  Payment in the form of check
payable to "Wright Technology Network" must be sent to:

  Gerard Kozak, OSC 
  USAF ASC/HP 
  2435 5th Street, Bldg. 676 
  Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433-7802 

ACCOMODATIONS:

The symposium hotel is:

 Crowne Plaza Dayton Hotel
  33 East Fifth Street
  Dayton, Ohio 45402
  (937) 224-0800

Please make your reservations early and ask for the MAPINT
Symposium group rate. The block of rooms and rate cannot be
guaranteed after Monday, July 24, 2000. 

Other accomodations can be found at:
http://www.activedayton.com/partners/cvb/accom.html 

MORE INFORMATION:

  Session Web Page:  http://www.arl.hpc.mil/PET/cta/ccm/workshops/map00
  MAPINT Main Page:  http://www.asc.hpc.mil/PET/MAPINT/MAPINT2000/
  Directions to Dayton Engineers Club:  
    http://www.asc.hpc.mil/PET/MAPINT/MAPINT2000/e_club.html
  Directions to Crowne Plaza:
    http://www.asc.hpc.mil/PET/MAPINT/MAPINT2000/directions.htm

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the session 
organizers at:

  Gerry Lushington    [email-masked]                  614-292-6036
  Paul Sotirelis      [email-masked]            937-255-2715 x219
  Jean Blaudeau       [email-masked]            937-255-4064 x474

Or the MAPINT coordinator at:

  Gerard Kozak         [email-masked]      937-255-6724 x518