Subject: Re: CCL:philosophy of computational chemistry"

From: "Henry Pang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 06:49:45 GMT

Hi Alexandre

Do tell me what is your 'sociological manner'. My approach to the Philosophy 
of CC appeared recently. Let me copy in case you missed it.

July 26 2000 CCL Hi David, greetings to Dr Buyong Ma

You said <Buyong Ma...of some interest to you, although from your comments I 
sense that you are taking a significantly different approach than Ma>

You discern correctly. Buyong Ma (1995), <The Philosophy of Computational 
Chemistry> is refreshing because addressing the wider nature of CC within 
the environment of science, but different to my concern. My point of 
departure is me. The most vital concern in my life is me. I want to survive 
so I can address other things. To survive in real terms, I want to develop a 
holistic integrated view of of reality. The basic unit is the system of the 
infinity of universes beyond our home Universe. In hierarchal form, all the 
fields we know as disciplines, are not isolated things but are linked 
otherwise they would disintegrate. I mean the Milky Way, solar system, 
planet earth, biosphere, living things, homo sapiens and so on.

The key instruments which explore reality at this time, include cosmology, 
quantum theory, relativity and higher dimensions theory. Astronomy appears 
to merely catalogue the celestial bodies. I have yet to see an astronomer 
discuss why these bodies exist in the heavens? When I was introduced to CC, 
I was delighted because I naively thought the precision, the 3D and the 
associated computational power would produce essential data for my Universe 
model? Alas, like the astronomers, CC seems only concerned with the means 
and not the ends. CC is intensely focussed on computer programs and delights 
in addressing techniques.

There are a few bold warriors apart from Buyong Ma (1995). Stephen
Mason(1991), Chemical Evolution - Origins of the Elements, Molecules and 
Living Systems, Clarendon Press Oxford, but closer to my  vision -
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1955), The Phenomenon of Man, Fontana Books. 
Review by Arnold Toynee Observer - <This is a great book. Its subject is the 
sum of things: nothing less than God and the universe. Teilhard sees and 
presents the universe in evolution, but at the same time as unity. His 
vision of unity meets a spiritual need of our time>

I believe computational chemistry is more than mere mensuration and rotating 
images. I am sure molecules were created as the essential building blocks of 
the infinite universe system. I want to set out the physical, mental, social 
and spiritual nature of living things and our Universe. I am intensely 
interested in Origins? I am sure the findings of CC form an important part 
of this unfolding story.

Dr Henry Pang
Postgraduate Student, Computational Chemistry
Faculty of Science, Information Technology and Education
Northern Territory University
PO Box U273 NT University 0815 Australia
Mobile 0419 682121 Fax 61 8 8946 6847 [email-masked]

>From: "Alexandre Hocquet" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: CCL:philosophy of computational chemistry"
>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:06:14 GMT
>
>
>dear jens,
>You may be interested in the last release of the journal "foundations of 
>chemistry" (i dont have the exact reference but you may find it at 
>http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1386-4238). Its editor in chief, eric 
>scerri, deals with the subject of "molecular orbital vision".
>
>Your argued your point was not philosophical but for the people that are 
>interested :
>
>Talking about philosophy of computational chemistry, this journal is 
>certainly an interesting resource as can be Hyle 
>(http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~philosophie/hyle.html), edited by Joachim 
>Schummer. These two young journals deal with philosophical aspects of 
>chemistry from the point of view of chemists AND philosophers and some 
>articles deal with theoretical and computational chemistry. Another 
>valuable resource is the PHILCHEM mailing list (
>http://www.cla.sc.edu/Phil/faculty/baird/philch.htm).
>
>Last, i am myself in the process of adressing the subject of a "philosophy 
>of computational chemistry" in a sociological manner. i intend to ask the 
>CCLers what they think (this will be done in september, to maximise 
>response) by asking to fill a questionnaire, just like i did it in June at 
>the ICQC (International Conference on Quantum Chemistry) in Menton. The 
>results will be submitted for publication in one of the two mentionned 
>journals. I can send to anyone interested the abstract of the poster 
>accompanying the survey in Menton.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>------------------------------------------------------------
>Alexandre HOCQUET
>Laboratoire de Physicochimie Biomoléculaire et Cellulaire
>ESA CNRS 7033
>[email-masked]
>Fax: 0144277560
>(do not dial first 0 from abroad)
>LPBC, case courrier 138
>4 Place Jussieu, 75252 PARIS Cedex 05 France
>------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>________________________________________________________________________
>Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com
>
>
>
>-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
>[email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To 
>Admins
>[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
>[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 
>70
>Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: 
>[email-masked]
>
>
>
>
>

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com