From: Douglas_Stack/CAS/UNO/[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:46:45 -0500

Dear CCLers,

Our University has an established computational laboratory which was funded by a
one-time NSF grant.  It consists of an SGI Onyx Cray-linked to an SGI Origin
2000 (24 total CPUs).  As the original NSF grant is about to expire, we
developing policies to fund this lab from individual, faculty grants.  My
question is:  how does one fund a computation lab from individual users?  A
flat, per-year charge, by CPU time, etc.?

Since the budget of any grant is an important component in the funding decision,
we want to make sure the requests are reasonable.  The funds would be used to
pay for support staff (sys. admin.) and occasional hardware/software upgrades.
If any on you have current funding polices in place, we would be grateful if
could share them with us so that we can build on your experiences.  In addition,
if any of you have recently been involved in a grant review study section
reviewing computational proposals, what type of charges did you find reasonable
(any maybe just as important, what was considered unreasonable).

As always, thanks in advance.

Douglas E. Stack
Assistant Professor
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Department of Chemistry
Omaha, NE 68182-0109
(402) 554-3647 (voice)
(402) 554-3888 (FAX)
[email-masked]