Subject: Compiling G94 on Mandrake Linux

From: Douglas_Stack/CAS/UNO/[email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:06:24 -0500

In setting up a Dual Pentium Pro PC to run G94 under the Linux OS, we run into
problems when trying to compile G94, rev. E.  The OS is Linux kernel 2.2.15
using the Mandrake distribution.  I know that Mandrake is suppose to use much of
Redhat's code in the version of Linux, but I sure wish I would have installed
Redhat's latest kernel, I have many problems with the Mandrake installation, but
that's another story.  The PC is a Micron Dual Pentium Pro box.  I had G94
compile successfully on this box using Redhat Linux ver. 5.1 when running just
one processor.   This successful compilation was done just as instructed via the
G94 manual using the f2c/gcc compiler combo.  But now, with Mandrake 7.1, and
using dual processors (the kernel has been compiled with the SMP option on), the
compilation process stops after making link 401.  All executables up to l401 are
made (and work), but the process stops at link 402.  Any ideas?

I search the CCL archives to find past discussion on compiling G94 on Dual Pro
PCs, but I'm well versed in compilers and the different flags people have tried.
Does anyone have a g94.make file that they have used to compile a Dual Pentium
Pro machine under Linux.  Are the latest versions of f2c/gcc not compatible with
G94? Would the Portland compiler work on a dual Pentium Pro PC in compiling G98?

Any advice (esp. if Doug Fox is listening) would be appreciated!

Douglas E. Stack
Assistant Professor
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Department of Chemistry
Omaha, NE 68182-0109
(402) 554-3647 (voice)
(402) 554-3888 (FAX)
[email-masked]