Subject: seeing orbitals?

From: Eric Scerri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:59:57 -0800

Dear CCL'ers,

I am completely new to this list and primarily a philosopher of chemistry
not a practitioner in computational chemistry.

I understand from a colleague in France that the question of "seeing
orbitals" has recently been discussed.

I would like to enclose a pre-print of an article which will appear in the
November issue of Journal of Chemical Education.

Comments are invited.

When the article making the claim for observed orbitals first appeared in
Nature magazine and various other places I sent letters to all the editors
concerned.  They all resuded to publish any dissenting words.  I have since
heard that several other people's letters to Nature in particular were also
turned down for no apparent reason.

May I also take this opportunity to invite list members to take a look at
the web pages of Foundations of Chemistry and consider submitting an
article of suitable philosophical, historical or pedagogical emphasis.

regards,

Eric Scerri PhD,
Visiting Professor,
Department of Chemistry,
Purdue University,
West Lafayette,
IN 47907
USA

tel:    765 496 1992

Editor: Foundations of Chemistry,

An Interdisciplinary journal for Philosophical, Historical and Educational
Aspects of Chemistry.

http://www.wkap.nl/journals/foch