Subject: Software for databases of chemical information?

From: Irilenia Nobeli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:58:46 +0100 (BST)

Dear CCLers,

 We are  planning  to build a database of molecules. The database will
 contain both chemical structures and text. The database itself will
 probably be based on Oracle. We are looking for software that will allow
 us to access, search and retrieve data, eventually through a web
 interface. I have found a lot of commercial software that seems capable of
 performing this task (MDL, Daylight, Tripos and Synopsys all have such
 tools available I believe), but I would like to hear from people who have
 actually used such software and had hands-on experience. I would be
 particularly interested in software used by academic institutions (as it
 is likely that this will be more affordable...or even free!). If anyone
 knows of any non-commercial software, even if they have not used it, I'd
 be very interested to hear from them.

 Many thanks in advance.

 Irilenia

------------------------------------------------
Irene (Irilenia) Nobeli
Biomolecular Structure and Modelling Unit
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University College London
Darwin Building
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

[email-masked]
tel. 020 7679 2171
fax. 020 7679 7193

>>>  The greatest proof of the existence of
     intelligent life outside Earth is that
     they haven't contacted us yet.       <<<<