Subject: fluorocarbonophilic?

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

While working with florocarbon surfactant-stabilized perflorocarbon
emulsions I noticed a perculiar affinity of perfluorinated compounds
to themselves, and nothing else. In a sense, one could see them to
define another axis in addition to hydrophobic-hydrophilic.

What is the origin of this specific interaction? Dipole-dipole,
entropic (residue packing)? Does the phenomenon also appear in
molecular dynamics simulations of, say, ternary (water, lipid,
perfluorocarbon) systems?

Intrigued,

-- Eugene Leitl

---

From: "Robert E. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:52:59 -0500

>perfluorocarbon) systems?

Some entropy, mostly interaction energy (dispersion interaction, mostly.)
This sort of segregation is explained in solubility parameter theory mostly
by interaction energy density.  See, for example, "Solubility of
Nonelectrolytes" 4th edition, by Hildebrand and Scott.

Carbon tetrachloride-perfluoromethyl cyclohexane has an uppper critical
solution tel]mperature of about 26 degrees C.  That means these two are not
mutually soluble in all proportions below that temperature.

REH
Robert E. Harris  Phone: 573-882-3274.  Fax:  573-882-2754
Department of Chemistry, University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, Missouri, USA 65211