Subject: RE: fluorocarbonophilic?

From: "Shobe, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:15:13 -0400

There was a recent Accounts of Chemical Research article on "fluorous"
phases

István T. Horváth ; Fluorous Biphase Chemistry, Accounts of Chemical
Research; 1998; 31(10); 641-650. 

Maybe it has some useful references.  Let me know what you find (and of the
3 lists you posted to I only read [email-masked]).

Also: fluorous phases seem to have an affinity for O2.  Maybe someone can
explain that.

--David Shobe
Süd-Chemie Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax     (502) 634-7724
email  [email-masked]

Any opinions herein are not necessarily representative of Süd-Chemie.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eugene Leitl [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 12:01 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: CCL:fluorocarbonophilic?

While working with florocarbon surfactant-stabilized perflorocarbon
emulsions I noticed a perculiar affinity of perfluorinated compounds
to themselves, and nothing else. In a sense, one could see them to
define another axis in addition to hydrophobic-hydrophilic.

What is the origin of this specific interaction? Dipole-dipole,
entropic (residue packing)? Does the phenomenon also appear in
molecular dynamics simulations of, say, ternary (water, lipid,
perfluorocarbon) systems?

Intrigued,

-- Eugene Leitl

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
[email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To
Admins
[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]