Subject: Linux settings to run in parallel

From: Dami�n Scherlis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:36:14 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

  I have been trying to run in parallel in a Pentium dual
  with Linux (Red Hat), with little success. Are there any
  settings (in the lilo.conf or somewhere else) 
  to specify that a job can be sent to both processors ?

    Thanks a lot.

 Damian Scherlis
 Department of Chemical Physics
 Faculty of Sciences
 University of Buenos Aires.

---

From: "Krzysztof Radacki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:33:34 +0200

Hi,
LILO ? Strange place to look for - its just boot-loader.
Or maybe you mean starting a smp-kernel - normaly redhat
should setup smp if you have two processors. If not, then
with tab-key  you can see all of kernels available in your
/boot.
What you surely need is setting value in shmmax file
(on redhat-systems /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax) on ca. 80% of
your memory. This is shared mammory for smp. Without
changing its value you can start jobs only with ca. 35MB per
processor.
The next question is what program you're useing. For example
in gaussian-input you have to add #NPROC=2 line somewhere
on the begining of input-file.

MfG
Krzys

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damián Scherlis" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 2:36 PM
Subject: CCL:Linux settings to run in parallel

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody    |   [email-masked] -- To
Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net
70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan:
[email-masked]