Subject: Fw: g98 compilation in Suse 6.4

From: "Phillip Matz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:21:39 -0700

Dear Philip,

Thanks for your response. I believe your solution is the one I am looking
for. However, my portland compiler is close to expiry and it's very slow
now. Furthermore, I have got a binary version of g98 and therefore I would
leave it to you to post your suggestion to CCL in case someone might have
a follow-up enquiry. Again, many thanks for your suggestion which is
certainly helpful to me any my colleagues.

Best Regards,
Jerry

******************************************************************
* Jerry Chun Chung CHAN                     [email-masked] *
* Universitaet Muenster                                          *
* Institut fuer Physikalische Chemie    fax:   0049-251-83-29159 *
* Schlossplatz 4-7 voice: 0049-251-83-29157 *
* D-48149 Muenster *
* Germany *
******************************************************************
----- Original Message -----
From: Phillip Matz
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 7:55 PM
Subject: g98 compilation in Suse 6.4

Hello!

Regarding your message posted on the CCL concerning g98 compiling.  I
believe your problem lies not with your linux distribution (SUSE 6.4),
rather the compiler error is due to your processor (K6) and the default
processor listed in the g98 i386.make file for the Portland Group compiler.
In the g98 i386.make file you will notice the default processor type is "-tp
p6", another processor type selection is available but commented out, i.e.
"-tp p5".  For the AMD K6, the Portland Group compiler needs to think it is
compiling for a Pentium processor, so comment out the "-tp p6" line and
uncomment the "-tp p5" line and recompile.  This should do the trick (it did
for me).

A side note, the above solution for the K6 is not needed for the ATHLON.
The Portland Group compiler will work with the "-tp p6" switch and an
ATHLON.  In fact, for G98 the compiled code will run 5~10% slower if you do
use the "-tp p5" switch (I have done this and I do have the hard numbers to
back up my statements).

I am not posting this to CCL as I am not a member yet, I subscribed earlier
today but I have not received my confirmation yet.  Feel free to repost this
message on CCL as it will surely help others.  I will repost it on CCL as
soon as I can but that may take a while.

Good Luck!
Phillip Matz
[email-masked]