Subject: Re: Babel authors and/or OpenBabel

From: Geoff Hutchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:24:53 -0500 (CDT)

Hello again,

Wow, I received quite a response to my message. Thanks to everyone who
responded, I'll summarize the responses I received. First off, babel can
now be found at Open Eyes Scientific Software. There, Matt Stahl has also
started a C++ library called "OELib" that is covered under the GPL and
includes a command-line utility.

Tamas Gunda also wrote about his Windows program Mol2Mol, which wasn't
quite what I was looking for--I was hoping to find code that could easily
form the basis of a library for writing to various file formats. Mol2Mol
does look quite useful for anyone looking for a Windows file translator. 
For my purposes OELib fits the bill quite nicely. (It's already a
library.)

Babel:
http://www.eyesopen.com/babel.html

OELib:
http://www.eyesopen.com/oelib.html

Mol2Mol:
http://www.klte.hu/~gundat/mol2mola.htm

I'd like to thank Abby Parrill, Tamas Gunda, Gunther Metz, Per-Ola Norrby,
Andrew Dalke, David Wild and of course Patrick Walters for responding.

Cheers,
-Geoff Hutchison
Northwestern Chemistry