Subject: ? re H-bonding

From: "Hr. Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:19:36 +0100

Dear Colleagues;

     Consider a phenolic molecule residing in the vicinity of an external
hydrogen bond (:B) acceptor such that an intermolecular hydrogen bond is
formed between the phenol and the external hydrogen bond acceptor

                     C6H5-O-H --- :B

Now, let a hydrogen bond donor (H-O-A) migrate into the vicinity of the
phenolic oxygen atom such that a second hydrogen bond can form with the
phenolic oxygen atom:

                     C6H5-O-H --- :B
                          ¦
                          ¦
                          H-O-A

Under such circumstances, would formation of a second hydrogen bond
between H-O-A and C6H5OH lead to a weakening of the hydrogen bond
strength between C6H5-O-H and the hydrogen bond acceptor :B?  Any
references or experimental data with which you can provide me that will
shed light on this question would be most sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all responders,

S.  Shapiro
[email-masked]