Subject: AFM/STM_wax inhibitor

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:37:22 -0600

Hello CCLers!

I am wondering about the possibility of utilizing AFM/ STM technology to
investigate how possible cold flow improver additives adsorb on the surface
of n-alkane waxes.  (Polymeric Cold Flow improver additives adsorb on to
the fast growing faces of developing wax crystals, retarding the growth and
give rise to smaller crystals rather than large flat plates, which can
interlock and block fuel flow in filters)  I am aware about the simulations
performed by Bill Goddard's at Caltech
(http://www.wag.caltech.edu/msc99/talks/e3/index.html) but I would like
some references on experiments.  Any references, suggestions, comments will
be appreciated. ( I am somewhat skeptical about the simulation results.)

Best Regards,

Goutam Das
Research Scientist
BetzDearborn Division of Hercules
The Woodlands, TX 77380
281.367.6201 ext 425