Subject: 2001.09.07 EuroConference: Comp Simul of Complx Interfaces, Toulon, FR

From: Corinne Le Moal - Euresco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:32:18 +0100

Electronic Structure of Solids and Surfaces

EuroConference on Computer Simulation of Complex Interfaces: Out of the
Vacuum Into the Real World

Giens, near Toulon, France, 7-12 September 2001
Chairpersons: Philip Lindan (CLRC Daresbury Lab., UK) & Claudine Noguera =
(Univ. Paris II, F)

Deadline for applications: April 2001
Preliminary programme & application form at:

http://www.esf.org/euresco/01/pc01138a.htm

For your information, I also enclose the poster related to the meeting.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would require further =
information.

Thank you very much for your co-operation.

Kind regards,
Corinne Le Moal
Euresco Publicity Office

===========================================================
European Science Foundation
Euresco Office
1 quai Lezay-Marn=E9sia
67080 Strasbourg
Tel +33 388 76 71 35
Fax + 33 388 36 69 87
http://www.esf.org/euresco/

                           Electronic Structure of
                             Solids and Surfaces
        EuroConference on Computer Simulation of Complex Interfaces:
                   Out of the Vacuum into the Real World

     Supported by the European Commission, Research DG, Human Potential
                Programme, High-Level Scientific Conferences
                     (Contract No: HPCF-CT-2000-00231)

              Giens (near Toulon), France, 7-12 September 2001

          chairman: Philip Lindan (CLRC Daresbury Laboratory, UK)

     Vice-Chairperson: Claudine Noguera (Université Paris II, France)

                    Speakers will provisionally include

--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 L. Akhmatskaya           | C. Molteni              | T. Rayment 
   (Fujitsu, UK)          |  (Cambridge U., UK)     |   (Cambridge U., UK)
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 G. Attard (U. of Wales   | M. Muller (Mainz        | P. Sautet (CNRS, F)
   Cardiff, UK)           |  U., D)                 |                   
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 U. Diebold               | M. Parrinello (MPI      | M. Scheffler (FHI-MPG
   (Tulane U., USA)       |   Stuttgart, D)         |   Berlin, D)        
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 K. Fichthorn (Penn       | J. Penfold (Appleton    | Michiel Sprik(Cambridge
   State U., USA)         |   Lab., UK)             |   U., UK)   
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 G. Galli (Livermore      | R. Perez (U. Autonoma   | H. Toulhoat (IFP, F)
   Lab, USA)              |   Madrid, E)            |                     
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 M. Gillan (U. College    | L. Pettersson           | M. Wilson (U. College
   London, UK)            |   (Stockholm U., S)     |   London, UK)        
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------
 J. Krim (North Carolina  | M. Philpott (National   |
   State U., USA)         |    U., SGP)             |         
--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------

                          Scope of the conference

This meeting is focused on the application of computer simulation,
especially first-principles approaches, to the study of real-world surfaces
and interfaces, those found outside a vacuum chamber. This topic arises in
numerous fields and disciplines, making interdisciplinary participation an
integral feature. Bringing together authoritative simulation practitioners,
experimentalists and industrial researchers, we will address the scientific
and technical challenges that must be overcome in order to advance our
understanding of complex interfaces.

Key scientific themes are:

   * Interfaces of liquids and solutions with solids: oxides, minerals,
     metals and aqueous solutions

   * Chemical and mechanical changes at interfaces: oxidation and
     self-catalysis, lubrication, wear, friction and tribology, corrosion,
     dissolution, complexation

The conference is open to researchers world-wide, whether from industry or
academia. Participation will be limited to 100. The emphasis will be on
discussion about new developments. The Conference fee covers registration,
full board and lodging. Grants will be available, in particular for
nationals from EU or Associated States under 35.

                   Deadline for applications: April 2001

 For information & application forms, contact the Head of the EURESCO Unit:

  Dr. J. Hendekovic, European science Foundation, 1 quai Lezay-Marnesia,
                       67080 Strasbourg Cedex, France

     Tel.+33 388 76 71 35 Fax.+33 388 36 69 87 E-mail: [email-masked]

 On-line information and application on WWW at: http://www.esf.org/euresco