Subject: Summary PC Cluster

From: Daniel Lopes Bhering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 05:15:57 -0400

Dear CCLers,

Thanks everyone for their response.  

My previous question is:
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi CCLers,

I would like to known if anyone has a cluster of PC running gaussian94 in
Linux? What is the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel L. Bhering

----------------------------------------------------------
I summarizes all the responses as follows,
----------------------------------------------------------
> From David Groeten ([email-masked])

We're running G98 on our pC cluster, however not in parallel if that;s
what you mean. Gaussian sell their Linda environment (www.gaussian.com)
which is quite expensive but not well scaling (poor).

Just get fast machines, and run a queuing system, and run multiple jobs
side by side each on their machine.
 
> From James Kubicki ([email-masked]),

Clusters are built to run Gaussian 98 instead of Gaussian 94.

> From Doug Fox ([email-masked]),
 
We added support for Gaussian + Linda to run on Linux clusters with the
release of Gaussian 98. There are a number of changes to the source to
make the code work so you would be better off upgrading.

> From Jerry Lipchus ([email-masked]),

The Gaussian recommended way to run Gaussian for Linux is to use Linda for
Gaussian http://www.sca.com/chemistry.html

Academic Pricing for Linda for Gaussian follows: Linda for Gaussian ONLY

Homogeneous IP-based Network $1500
90 days support comes with purchase
Maintenance/ software upgrades only $400
Maintenance/ upgrades & support $750

Heterogeneous IP based Network $2500
90 days support comes with purchase
Maintenance/ software upgrades only $600
Maintenance/ upgrades & support $1000
-----------------------------------------------------------

Best Regards,

Daniel L. Bhering
Dept. of Organic Chemistry -UFRJ/Brazil