Subject: First announcement of the Finnish Symposium on Quantum Chemistry

From: Mikael Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:41:30 +0200 (EET)

******************************************
            Please pre-register before 31 January 2001
            ******************************************

                      First announcement for

               FINNISH SYMPOSIUM ON QUANTUM CHEMISTRY
                     An International Conference
            http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/Research/Kuusamo

              The conference is organized to celebrate
                     Pekka Pyykkö's 60th birthday

                    The conference will be held in
        KUUSAMON TROPIIKKI, Kuusamo (near the Arctic Circle), Finland
                  Monday June 11 - Sunday June 17, 2001

                        SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE

Lauri Halonen               Henrik Konschin        Pekka Pyykkö
Nino Runeberg               Markku Räsänen         Dage Sundholm
Juha Vaara

                     LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Lauri Halonen  Mikael Johansson Jonas Juselius Henrik Konschin
Nino Runeberg  Markku Räsänen   Michal Straka  Dage Sundholm
Juha Vaara

Fax:    +358 (0)9 191 50169
Phone:  +358 (0)9 191 50176, +358 (0)9 191 50170, +358 (0)9 191 50173
E-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Chemistry
P.O.Box 55
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

                           SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM

There are 30 invited speakers. There will be 8 shorter presentations
(25 + 5 minutes) and 2 poster sessions. Participants interested in
giving a short oral presentation or showing a poster should mention it
on the pre-registration form. Contributions are invited in the fields of:

- Relativistic quantum chemistry
- Calculation of NMR parameters and the interplay with experimental NMR
- New species, the interplay between theory and experiment
- Matrix spectroscopy and the interplay with computational methods
- Quantum electrodynamic effects in chemistry
- Numerical quantum chemistry methods

                            INVITED SPEAKERS

Lester Andrews              Martin Kaupp               Jeppe Olsen
Evert-Jan Baerends          Thomas M. Klapötke         Trond Saue
Karl Christe                Werner Kutzelnigg          Hubert Schmidbaur
Jean-Paul Desclaux          Leif Laaksonen             Helmut Schwarz
Ken Dyall                   Leonti Labzowsky           Peter Schwerdtfeger
Knut Faegri                 Sven Larsson               Konrad Seppelt
Juergen Gauss               Paolo Lazzeretti           Hermann Stoll
Bernd Hess                  Lawrence Lohr              Jonathan Tennyson
Jukka Jokisaari             Colin Marsden              Walter Thiel
Uzi Kaldor                  Jens Oddershede            Lucas Visscher

                            PRE-REGISTRATION

You should pre-register (i.e. signal your intention to participate
in the conference and to request the second announcement) before
31 January 2001. To do so, please use the fill-out-form at the WWW
home page at http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/Research/Kuusamo

PLEASE NOTE: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WILL NOT BE DISTRIBUTED BY PAPER MAIL!

             PLEASE PASS ON THIS INFORMATION TO OTHER INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS!

                           CONFERENCE LOCATION

The conference will be held in the KUUSAMON TROPIIKKI hotel, in the town of
Kuusamo, in northern Finland, on June 11th-17th, 2001. The accommodation
will also mainly be arranged on these premises.

Please note that the meeting starts on a Monday and ends on a Sunday.
So you can conveniently make use of low-priced air line tickets.

The town of Kuusamo might be difficult to reach on Monday afternoon and
evening we will therefore organize bus transportation from Oulu to Kuusamo
on Monday and from Kuusamo to Oulu on Sunday. Since Oulu is the metropole
of northern Finland it has many flight connections with Helsinki and
Stockholm.

                             ACCOMMODATION

The main accommodation is at the hotel KUUSAMON TROPIIKKI
There are two types of accommodation:

* Single room 6 nights costs 1980 FIM (335 Euro), including breakfast.
* Double room 6 nights costs 1200 FIM (205 Euro), including breakfast.

Participants are encouraged to make their own reservations at the
hotel KUUSAMON TROPIIKKI. Participants who prefer to stay in a hotel
outside the conference hotel KUUSAMON TROPIIKKI can ask for assistance
>from the organizers but must make their own reservations.

                            INDICATIVE  FEES

                       Conference fee              Accommodation fee^@
                                                   (for Mon - Sun)
                                                Double        Single
Participants^£         300 Euro                 205 Euro      335 Euro
Accompanying persons    50 Euro^$               130 Euro^*

@ Divide by six to estimate the accommodation cost for additional days
* when sharing room with a participant
$ includes conference dinner and excursion
£ Since we have no reduced fees for students, we will try to raise funds
  to cover part of the local expenses for a limited number of participating
  students. Students whose participation is dependent on this type of support,
  are asked to indicate this on their pre-registration form. The final
  application for support must be made on the registration form.

                            SOCIAL PROGRAM

- Monday evening:               Reception
- Tuesday or Wednesday evening: Bus excursion to experience the Midnight Sun.
  (depending on the weather)
- Thursday afternoon:           Some organized activity (maybe rafting)
- Friday evening:               Conference dinner
- Saturday evening:             PAMALOF meeting (for members only)

                          ACCOMPANYING PERSONS

For all your rafting, fishing and other recreation needs, guiding
companies will have a representative at the conference center.
You can also contact them directly before the conference.
http://www.koillismaa.fi/greenlinesafaris, [email-masked]

                               DEADLINES

- 2nd announcement: February/March 2001.

- Deadline for final registration and submission of abstracts: 15 March 2001.

- Deadline for final reservation of accommodations: 15 March 200

THE LATEST INFORMATION is available at the conference home page:
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/Research/Kuusamo

-----------
Have a nice day,
    Mikael Johansson
    University of Helsinki
    Department of Chemistry
    [email-masked]