Subject: Re: CCL:Linux 2.4.0 and 2 GB promlem

From: Serguei Patchkovskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:55:33 -0700 (MST)

Hannes Loeffler wrote:
> Yes, it works on Linux/Alpha but not Linux/i386.

I am sorry, but that's still false. As others have mentioned, x86
2.4 Linux kernels support files larger than 2Gbytes on ext2 file
systems.  Although the large file support didn't make it into the 
previous stable Linux kernel stream, the necessary patches against 
2.2 kernels are readily available. In fact, these patches are already
included in 2.2 kernels, coming with some pre-packeged distributitions 
- such as Suse. (Scyld Beowulf distribution also supports large files
on x86 - but I do not know whether they use 2.2 kernels)

Other Linux distributions, such as Red Hat, have chosen not to include
LFS patches into their 2.2 kernels. At the same time, Red Hat 7/x86 
ships with LFS-aware libc - so that switching to a 2.4 kernel, or 
including LFS patches into an RH 2.2 kernel, will give you large file 
support.

Caveat: None of my Linux/x86 systems are used for productuion calculations.
        As such, I have no direct experience with using LFS-aware x86
        Linux kernels.

/Serge.P

---
Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/