Subject: AMP and GMP concentrations: summary

From: Irilenia Nobeli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:49:12 +0000 ("GMT)

Many thanks to James Smith and Doug Markham for their answers to my
question regarding relative concentrations of AMP and GMP in a cell.

I include the original answers, in case anyone is interested.

Irilenia 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> From [email-masked]  Fri Feb  2 09:53:36 2001

Purine nucleotides vary in their concentration, due to the localised
release and  turnover. Local high concentrations may also depend on local
divalent cation concentrations (that chelate phosphate groups).

Remember eurkaryotic cells are compartmentalised and their organisation is
dependent on their specialisation but even oocytes (often used as
expression systems) don't have  homogenous cytoplasms.

If you receive concentration values for intracellular/extracellular purine
monophosphate, purine cyclic-monophosphate, purine di and tri phosphate
purines be very cautious of the cell type, the method and conditions used. 
If you have values from different sources in different cell types, the
relative values may be more important than the absolute values.

Yours sincerely
James Smith

> From [email-masked]  Thu Feb  1 21:07:57 2001

  There is a long list of nucleotide concentrations in 
Salmonella in :

B.R. Bochner and B.N. Ames, J. Biol. Chem. Vol. 257, p. 9759-9769 (1982)

Hope this helps,

Doug Markham