Subject: Your coordinator on viruses and CCL in general

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:35:24 -0500 (EST)

Dear CCL world community...

I will try to be brief... It does not come easy for me {:-)}...

1) Please... DO NOT SEND MIME encoded mail to CCL if you can.
   In fact, each and every message which has a mime type application/something
   is stopped by the CCL distribution software for me to check. It is a pain.
   It cannot be given to studends, since it requires expertise...
   While there are packages which scan mail for viruses, they tend to be
   overprotective, and I will still need to review the stuff...
   Also, they cost money, and need to be maintained...

   PLEASE USE PLAIN TEXT MAIL!!! 99.99% of CCL messages do not require
   anything more than ASCII text. I can see that many people are using this
   M$ mail beautification and also send their mail as HTML encoded in the
   Netscape... If you think your mail is better when it is HTML encoded
   listen to this:
     I (Jan Labanowski) usually read my mail from my main OSC server via
     xterm on my Linux machine at home using pine. When the mail is HTML
     (or whatever) encoded, I could only see it by spawning a viewer, 
     but since I am remotely logged in, I DO NOT DO IT!!! It is too slow
     to display Netscape browser by using Xwindow remote $DISPLAY setting.
     (it is more than 10 Megabytes of pixels to transfer -- even my cable
     modem is not too fast for this).
     If this is a message from someone I know, I am saving an attachment
     or a message to a file, and then examine it with the text editor,
     and only when it is worth viewing with a browser, I copy the file
     to my local machine and view it with the local browser. Whoever
     sends me an HTML encoded mail is WASTING a lot of my time... Thank you
     for the bold, italic, and underline and red, but I do not need it!!!
     If I do not know the person, I automatically hit delete... Sorry,
     most of my HTML encoded mail ends up deleted without reading...

2) People, YOU HAVE TO HELP ME IN KEEPING CCL RUNNING!!!
   The list of positions offered at:

       http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/announcements/jobs/

   is quite successful and people are praising me for the results.
   People tell me that it is more successful than premiere and
   traditional ways of advertizing positions. It is probably true,
   since you are advertizing to a select group of people whom you want
   to hire.  I do not have to remind you that advertizing a position
   in the press or the commercial web site costs thousands of dollars.
   You know this, you were paying these fees many times.

   I also maintain the list of conferences. 

       http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/announcements/conferences/

   However, frankly, it is a lot of work to maintain these services.
   You see, I do not keep this stuff there to advertize my own company,
   since I do not have any, and you are not my prospective customers.
   I hoped that people who benefited from these services will support
   CCL with donations. Only few do. THANK YOU A LOT FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
   But I need more supporters...  So, if you got a job, or if you hired
   someone because of these services, please consider supporting CCL

       http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/aboutccl/supporting/

   Just send me a check made to CCL Development Fund (OSC) to the
   address below. People who organize conferences also benefit from
   the attendence which is brought by advertizing conferences on CCL.
   And software vendors get a tremendous exposure from the discussions on CCL. 
   So, please consider supporting CCL if you experienced some benefits
   from it. Your support is needed, or I will have to trim down the
   maintainance and upkeep of this resource. CCL needs to show that it is
   substantially supported by its subscribers/users to be considered
   useful for my parent organization. If you do not think it is worth
   supporting than you will see its decline. It is that simple...
   "Money makes the world go'round". Please help and understand...
   
Jan
Your infrequent moderator, but mostly just maintainer...

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/