Subject: RE: Mott insulators and DFT & viruses

From: "Shobe, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:26:31 -0500

I have heard, however, that a file can appear as funnyjoke.txt in your mail
program, but really be funnyjoke.txt.vbs -- the multiple extensions confuse
the mail program, and what you think is just a text file is actually an
executable.

I have also heard that HTML files can be dangerous, and in fact even more
dangerous than most extensions, since they can be programmed to execute from
the preview pane.

I do have anti-virus software here but I don't want to rely on it as my only
defense.

--David Shobe

-----Original Message-----
From: Tamas E. Gunda [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 7:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CCL:Mott insulators and DFT & viruses

> I'm afraid to open attachments I didn't expect, with all the viruses
> floating around.  Please use plain text whenever possible.  (Artem, I'm
> sorry about cc'ing this to the list, but you're not the only "offender"
> here).
> 
> --David Shobe

It is understandable. However, some advices:

If it is a text (txt) or image (.jpg, .gif etc) file, you can open it
without problem. Html format is also quite safe. 

If it is a doc file, save it and do not open immediately from the mailing
program. When opening this separate doc file with the Word, press the shift
button simultaneously. In this case Word does not start automatically macros
or scripts.

Or open it with WordPad, which is a stupid simple program and it has no
built-in scripting features. Resave it in
Word format, if want to keep the letter.

This  may feel a bit complicated, but that is the price for more security.

Dr Tamas E. Gunda
Research Group for Antibiotics of the Hungarian Acad. Sci.
University of Debrecen, POBox 36
H-4010 Debrecen, Hungary
tel.: (+36-52) 512 900/2472
fax: (+36-52) 512 914
e-mail: [email-masked]
home-page: www.klte.hu/~gundat/gunda.htm

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
[email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]