Subject: Short Budget

From: "Familia Esguerra Neira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:27:20 -0800

Hello all,

I would like to ask for your advice on buying a PC for running gaussian 98
and gamess-us jobs under Slackware Linux 7.1. My budget is U$4000 and I
have been looking at Dell computers for the fastest machine I can get with
this money.

I am undecided on whether to buy a dual pentium III 933MHz or a single
pentium IV 1.5 GHz processor both with 1Gb PC800 RDRAM; if any of you out
there has any information as to which of this two options would work
better, or other suggestion on how to invest my money in order to obtain
the fastest performing machine I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking your advice,

Mauricio Esguerra Neira
Grupo de Quimica Teorica
Universidad Nacional de Colombia

---

From: Yubo Fan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:34:07 +0000

Hi,

I prefer a dual pentium III 933MHz with 1GB SDRAM (I don't think PC800 RDRAM is
much faster than PC133  SDRAM and the bus speed of PIII/933 is 133 MHz). I list
the prices of the most important components for your calculations.

2 PIII/933 $500
1GB SDRAM(4x256MB) $450
MSI 694D VIA Dual Socket 370 motherboard $140
40GB ATA100 Hard Drive (7200 rpm) < $150

others: monitor, video card, network card
housing, mouse and keyboard

So, you can build two dual PIII/933 w/1GB memory Linux machine as I suggest. Of
course, you just need one monitor for them. You can remote-control them when
you run QM jobs on them. Remember, this type of computer is very good for DFT
calculation. Don't try POST-SCF calculations (ie CCSD) on them, or you will be
very disappointed.

I hope my suggestion gives you some help

Sincerely

Yubo

Familia Esguerra Neira wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

--
============================================================
Yubo Fan                   Email: [email-masked]
Department of Chemistry    Tel:   1-979-845-7222
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
============================================================