Subject: Call for Participation: Objects in Bio- & Chem-Informatics 2001, Boston (USA), July 9-10

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:46:41 -0500

We apologize to those who receive multiple copies of this email.
Please distribute this call to all interested parties.
============================================

                         CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

          OBJECTS IN BIO- & CHEM-INFORMATICS 2001 (OiBC-2001)

                            July 9 - 10, 2001
                        Boston, Massachusetts (USA)

    Organized by the Life Sciences Research Domain Task Force (LSR DTF)
    Sponsored by the Object Management Group (OMG) and IONA Technologies

Following in the tradition of the successful 'Objects in Bioinformatics'
conferences held in Hinxton, UK in 1997 and '98 and in San Jose, California
in 1999, Objects in Bio- & Chem-informatics 2001 (OiBC-2001) will be held
at Sheraton Ferncroft Hotel, Danvers, Massachusetts (20 minutes north of
Boston) on July 9 and 10, 2001.

Papers and posters reporting on original research and development of
object-oriented software and systems, the role of object-oriented
technology, reusable software components, design patterns, and distributed
computing in life sciences research are sought. The overall theme of the
conference is sharing best practices for implementing object-based systems
for life sciences research.  Conference scope includes object modeling and
implementation, independent of platform or language.  The audience will be
interested in reports detailing implementations using current technologies
(e.g., CORBA, EJB, SOAP, COM, .NET) and languages (Java, Perl, C++, Python,
C#, XML, and others).

TOPICS OF INTEREST:
Typical but not exclusive topics of interest include:
  * Bioinformatics and Genomics
  * Cheminformatics
  * Combinatorial libraries and drug design
  * Computational chemistry
  * Functional genomics
  * Information and data management for high-throughput experimental
biology
  * Macromolecular structure
  * Molecular sequence analysis
  * Pharmacogenomics
  * Proteomics
  * Object-Oriented Modeling, Design, and Ontologies for these disciplines
  * Efficient object and data stores for any of the disciplines listed
above
  * Advantages and return on investment of object-oriented technologies
  * Development and application of open standards for information
representation and software interoperability

Demonstrations of interoperability in systems using components from two or
more sources are particularly encouraged, either as posters or as platform
talks.

ABSTRACT PREPARATION:
The submitted abstract should include a title and the authors' names,
institutional affiliations, and email addresses.  Additional address,
telephone, and web site information may be included, but is not required.
The abstract text should begin with a succinct (one-paragraph) statement of
the problem, the results achieved, their significance and a comparison with
previous work. This material should be understandable to non-specialists. A
technical exposition directed to the specialist should follow. The length,
including tables and bibliography, if any, should not exceed 5 pages. The
manuscript should be easy to read, using at least 11 point font size,
single spaced, and formatted for U.S. standard 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper with
no less than one inch margin all around. Figures, if required, should be in
the native format supported by the abstract file format (see below) or GIF
or JPEG.  Figures are not included in the five-page length limit and should
be numbered consecutively according to their order of reference in the main
text.  The abstract should be submitted in one of the following file
formats: Microsoft Word, Plain ASCII text, Adobe PDF, Postscript, or HTML.
Abstracts that deviate significantly from these guidelines risk rejection
without consideration of their merits.

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION:
Authors should submit their extended abstracts electronically to:
[email-masked]
Questions regarding submissions may also be sent to this address.  In your
covering email, please clearly state the name, email address, and phone
number of the corresponding author; the presentation title; and your
preference for presentation (platform talk, poster, or demonstration).
Abstracts must be received by May 7, 2001, 23:59 local time.  This is a
firm deadline.  Early submissions will be accepted and are encouraged.

NOTIFICATION:
Abstract submissions will be refereed by the Program Committee and each
appropriate presentation will be accepted as either a platform presentation
or as a poster presentation.  Authors will be notified of the refereed
results of their submission by electronic mail on or before May 22, 2001.
Any revisions to an accepted abstract must be received by June 15, 2001. An
author of each accepted paper is expected to attend the Conference and
present the paper or poster; otherwise alternative arrangements should be
made to have the paper or poster presented.

CALENDAR:
Deadline for abstract submission:        May 7, 2001
Author notification:                     May 22, 2001
Deadline for revised abstract submission:     June 15, 2001

CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS:
Extended abstracts and presentation slides will be available on the OiBC
web site (http://www.omg.org/lsr/oibc/) following the conference.

MORE INFORMATION:
For more information about this event, check the OiBC web site:
http://www.omg.org/lsr/oibc/.  To learn about the mission and initiatives
of the OMG's LSR DTF, see: http://www.omg.org/lsr/.

CORBA(r) is a registered trademark of the Object Management Group. OMG(tm),
Object Management Group(tm) are trademarks of the Object Management Group.
All other products or company names mentioned are used for identification
purposes only, and may be trademarks of their respective owners.