Subject: Slow celeron

From: Yubo Fan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:08:28 +0000

Hi,

I tried a G98 job on Celeron 667. Unfortunately, the speed is very very
slow. The speed of running G98 is on the level of Pentium II/233. I
don't know why. Any explanation? Thanks in advance.

Yubo

--
============================================================
Yubo Fan                   Email: [email-masked]
Department of Chemistry    Tel:   1-979-845-7222
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
============================================================

---

From: "Phillip D. Matz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:42:23 -0800

Hi,

I think I can contribute to this discussion.  In my own single processor G98
A.7 Celeron vs. PII comparison testing I found the Celeron outperforms the
PII MHz per MHZ by ~10% for the following job types (consistent up to
molecules with 70 atoms and 850 basis fncs):

Hartree-Fock calculations: both DIIS(L502.EXE) and QC (L508.EXE) with the
incore, conventional, and direct algorithms

Frequency calculations (L701.EXE, L703.EXE, L1002.EXE, L1101.EXE, L1110.EXE)

Excited State calculations (L914.EXE)

I compared the processors with G98 A.7 in WIN95, WINNT 4.0 SP5, WIN2000 pro,
RedHat 6.0, RedHat 6.1, and RedHat 6.2 and the results were fairly
consistent.

What I did not compare was correlation methods (ie CCSD, CASSCF, MP2) or
DFT.  I should also mention that for the same tests the Athlon classic (1/2
and 2/5 L2 cache divisors) outperform the celeron another ~10% MHz per MHz.

Having said that, there is no reason, at the CPU level, why your celeron 667
is performing so poorly.  How much RAM is accessible by the celeron?  If you
only have 32MB then you will be suffering.  What is your operating system?
Also, is this a home-built system or a vendor provided system (such as HP or
Gateway)?  If you can access the BIOS, is your L2 cache enabled? What about
the L1 cache?  And is your BIOS current?

Since computer hardware debugging is OT for the CCL I would suggest we take
this conversation off-line and figure out what is wrong with your particular
celeron system.  The bottom line for listening CCLers is that your results
are atypical.

Respectfully,

Phillip Matz
(just a graduate student at WSU)
[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yubo Fan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 9:08 AM
Subject: CCL:Slow celeron

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To
Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net
70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan:
[email-masked]