Subject: CCG Excellence Award, San Diego

From: Pam Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:49:59 -0500

The American Chemical Society's (ACS) Division of Computers and
Chemistry (COMP) and Chemical Computing Group (CCG), are pleased to
announce the winners of the CCG Excellence Awards for the Spring ACS
National Meeting, to be held in San Diego, CA, from April 1-5, 2001.

In alphabetical order, the winners are:

Gregory W. Kauffman  for the paper entitled "Quantitative
Structure-Activity Relationship Models for the Prediction of Selective
Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition"  Co-author of the paper is Peter C.
Jurs.  Mr. Kauffman is a graduate student in Peter Jurs' labs in the
Department of Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University, University
Park, PA.

Larry O. Lockwood, Jr. for the paper entitled "Comparison of Genetic
Algorithm-Based Descriptor Selection Methods for QSAR".  Co-authors of
the paper are Mark J. Embrechts, Curt M. Breneman, and Kristin P.
Bennett.  Mr. Lockwood is a graduate student in Curt Breneman's labs
in the Department of Chemistry, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute,
Troy, NY.

C. Matthew Sundling for his paper entitled "Advances in Electronic
Property-encoded Molecular Shape Descriptors"  Co-author of the paper
is Curt M. Breneman.  Mr. Sundling is a graduate student in Curt
Breneman's labs in the Department of Chemistry, Rennselaer Polytechnic
Institute, Troy, NY.

The CCG Excellence Awards have been created to stimulate graduate
student participation in COMP Division activities (symposia and poster
sessions) at ACS National Meetings. Winners will receive a one-year
software license of CCG's MOE (Molecular Operating Environment) for
their academic research groups, in addition to travel reimbursements.

Awardees are chosen on the basis of the quality and significance of
the research to be presented and the strength of the supporting
materials.

Please join us in congratulating the winners of the CCG Excellence
Awards for the San Diego ACS Meeting.  We will present the awards at
the COMP Poster Session (Tuesday, 7:00-10:00 PM, Sails Pavilion in the
San Diego Convention Center).

Those wishing to submit applications for the next round of CCG
Excellence Awards should do so quickly.  Application for these awards
is a two-step process.  First, one must submit an abstract through the
ACS OASYS system for online paper submissions.  Secondly, an
application for the Award must be submitted to the Treasurer of the
COMP division for consideration.

Deadlines for these two steps are different, to allow graduate
students time to compile the additional paperwork needed to complete
the application.  April 15th, 2001, is the deadline for abstract
submission through the OASYS system. All abstracts must be submitted
through the ACS OASYS online-abstract submission system.
(http://www.acs.org/meetings/chicago2001/)   Once the abstract has
been submitted, supporting Award application materials must be
submitted no later than June 1, 2001.  Supporting materials must
include an extended 1-2 page abstract for your paper along with a
letter of support from your research advisor, a two-page CV and a
personal statement.

All graduate students are encouraged to submit applications for the
Awards.   Students from the same research group are encouraged to
apply.  Students from research groups that have won awards at previous
ACS meetings are also encouraged to submit applications.  Awards will
be given only to those individuals making presentations, and not
co-authors.

Send all application materials to:

Prof. Curt M. Breneman; Treasurer, ACS COMP Division; RPI Department
of Chemistry; 110 8th St.; Troy, NY 12180

--
Pam Newton
Account Manager
Chemical Computing Group, Inc.

1010 Sherbrooke Street West, Suite 910
Montreal, Quebec, Canada  H3A 2R7
T: 1.514.393.1055 x 28
Cell: 1.514.945.9230
F: 1.514.874.9538