Subject: ANN: BioCoRE now includes remote job submission

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:38:33 -0600

Urbana, Illinois - The Theoretical Biophysics Group at the University 
of Illinois is proud to announce the latest updates to the BioCoRE 
web-based collaborative research environment. Since the initial 
release in March of 2000, we have added significant new features, as 
well as many minor improvements and features suggested by our users.

The following features are the most important additions to the 
BioCoRE environment.

+ Job submission and monitoring. BioCoRE now allows you to submit 
NAMD simulation jobs to your computer accounts on the PSC T3E and the 
NCSA Origin 2000. After submitting jobs through BioCoRE, you may 
check back to see whether they have run, and view the output of the 
jobs as they run. Soon we will be adding a graphical viewer applet 
for NAMD jobs, and support for more computer systems and applications.

+ A Java-based Control Panel. This control panel starts up when you 
first log in to BioCoRE, and provides several convenient features. 
The control panel provides a cross-project view of all your projects, 
so you can easily find which projects have changed recently. You can 
also determine at a glance who else is currently logged in to your 
projects. The control panel also provides a live chat capability, and 
notifies you with color and an alert sound when new information is 
added to any of your projects.

+ Storing (publishing) molecular visualization views (from VMD) to 
the BioCoRE notebook. Now, when you launch VMD through BioCoRE you 
will be presented with an additional window that allows you to 
publish a molecular state to BioCoRE. Later, any member of your 
project may retrieve that view from the Message Board.  In the 
Message Board you can select `Saved VMD Sessions' from the drop-down 
box and choose a published state that you wish to view. Currently 
this feature is only supported on Unix versions of VMD, but this will 
soon be available on more platforms. We also have many interesting 
features planned.

For additional information, or to obtain a BioCoRE account, please 
visit the BioCoRE website at 
<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/biocore/>.

The Theoretical Biophysics group encourages BioCoRE users to be 
closely involved in the development process through reporting bugs, 
contributing fixes, periodical surveys and via other means. Questions 
or comments may be directed to [email-masked].

We are eager to hear from you, and thank you for using our software!