Subject: Winners of the CCG-COMP (ACS) Excellence Awards Announced

From: "Bill Hayden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 04:35:14 -0400

SAN DIEGO/MONTREAL, April 2, 2001 ---- The American Chemical Society's
(ACS) Division of Computers and Chemistry (COMP) and Chemical Computing
Group (CCG), are pleased to announce the winners of the CCG Excellence
Awards
for the Spring ACS National Meeting, to be held in San Diego, CA, from April
1-5, 2001.

In alphabetical order, the winners are:

Gregory W. Kauffman for the paper entitled "Quantitative Structure-Activity
Relationship Models for the Prediction of Selective Cyclooxygenase-2
Inhibition".
Co-author of the paper is Peter C. Jurs.  Mr. Kauffman is a graduate student
in
Peter Jurs' labs in the Department of Chemistry, Pennsylvania State
University,
University Park, PA.

Larry O. Lockwood, Jr. for the paper entitled "Comparison of Genetic
Algorithm-Based Descriptor Selection Methods for QSAR".  Co-authors of the
paper are Mark J. Embrechts, Curt M. Breneman, and Kristin P. Bennett.
Mr. Lockwood is a graduate student in Curt Breneman's labs in the Department
of
Chemistry, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.

C. Matthew Sundling for his paper entitled "Advances in Electronic
Property-encoded
Molecular Shape Descriptors".  Co-author of the paper is Curt M. Breneman.
Mr. Sundling is a graduate student in Curt Breneman's labs in the Department
of
Chemistry, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.

The CCG Excellence Awards have been created to stimulate graduate student
participation in COMP Division activities (symposia and poster sessions) at
ACS
National Meetings. Winners will receive a one-year software license of CCG's
MOE (Molecular Operating Environment) for their academic research groups, in
addition to travel reimbursements.

Awardees are chosen on the basis of the quality and significance of the
research to
be presented and the strength of the supporting materials.

Please join us in congratulating the winners of the CCG Excellence Awards
for the
San Diego ACS Meeting.  We will present the awards at the COMP Poster
Session
(Tuesday, 7:00-10:00 PM, Sails Pavilion in the San Diego Convention Center).

CONTACT:
Bill Hayden
Vice President - Sales & Marketing
Chemical Computing Group
514 393 1055 - phone
514 874 9538 - fax
[email-masked]