Subject: RE: CCL = G98 userlist

From: "Shobe, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 14:58:24 -0400

I am against splitting a Gaussian users' group off from CCL.  Yes, it's
probably the program that gets mentioned the most, but people also discuss
here the use of Gamess, Molden, various molecular mechanics programs, etc.

--David Shobe
Süd-Chemie Inc.
phone (502) 634-7409
fax     (502) 634-7724
email  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Peter Burger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 11:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CCL:CCL = G98 userlist

Dear netters,

I do not want to upset anyone and I know how bad 
it is if one has a problem and how I appreciated all help 
I received previously from CCL.

Nevertheless, it is more and more occuring to me that CCL is a G98
usergroup list. So I was wondering - isn't there any support provided by
Gaussian? Are there no G98 usergroups? 

Best wishes

Peter

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
[email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
[email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
[email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

---

From: Rick Venable <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:08:53 -0400

This topic has come up a couple of times before on CCL.

I also feel the number of Gaussian specific questions and answers is too
high for what is supposed to be a GENERAL discussion list, and not a
Gaussian help desk.

The main problems seem to be:

(1) there isn't a good Gaussian mailing list already
(2) product support for Gaussian is not very good

I value the breadth of contributions to CCL as well, but don't see how
that relates to whether or not there should be a specific Gaussian list.  

I happen to think a Gaussian specific list would be an excellent idea.  
IMHO, that would be the proper place to discuss nuances such as memory
usage as a consequence of symmetry changes in G98.  Attempts to create
such a list in the past, however, haven't been very successful, which is
why this topic has come up again.

Fortunately, the message volume on CCL is reasonable, and it's easy to
delete messages with G98 in the Subject: line with most mail programs.

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Shobe, Dave wrote:
> I am against splitting a Gaussian users' group off from CCL.  Yes,
> it's probably the program that gets mentioned the most, but people
> also discuss here the use of Gamess, Molden, various molecular
> mechanics programs, etc.

> Gaussian? Are there no G98 usergroups? 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Rick Venable
FDA/CBER/OVRR Biophysics Lab
1401 Rockville Pike    HFM-419
Rockville, MD  20852-1448  U.S.A.
(301) 496-1905   [email-masked]
ALT email:  [email-masked]
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=