Subject: visualization software

From: "Scott L. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:06:42 -0600

Version 2.0 of the gOpenMol visualization package has been released by Leif
Laaksonen and can be downloaded at http://www.csc.fi/~laaksone/gopenmol/
Versions are available for Win 95/98/ME/2000, Linux, SGI Irix, and Compaq OSF1.

gOpenMol is designed to allow visualization of molecules, MOs, densities,
etc., as well as animations of vibrations, MD simulations etc.  It can read
results from a wide variety of quantum chemistry and simulation programs.
gOpenMol also includes many tools for analyzing structures and trajectories.

New features include:

Handling up to 100,000 atoms

Additional controls for trajectory/MD visualization and analysis (including
   variable animation speed)

Ability to define clip planes to allow you to cut away part of a molecule or
   orbital to see the interior structure

Ability to define arbitrarily oriented planes for displaying contours (of
   MOs, etc)

Additional import filters for new quantum chemistry, MM, and MD programs (23
   at last count)

You can find a tutorial that illustrates the features and operations of the
program at 
        http://www.chem.utah.edu/chemistry/faculty/anderson/gopen.html
The tutorial now includes a section on use of Tcl/Tk scripts to automate
gOpenMol.  The scripts can be used to deal with repeated tasks, and can
also be used to produce animated presentations, etc.

Prof. Scott L. Anderson / Chemistry Dept.
315 S. 1400 E. Rm 1216 / U. of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT  84112
(801)585-7289       FAX: (801)581-8433
www.chem.utah.edu/chemistry/faculty/anderson/anderson.html