Subject: reg.molscript manual

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:23:47 GMT

Hi,

I'm not able to get molscript manual. If anybody knows the website please let me
know.

Thanks in advance.

with regards
govind.

---

From: Daniel Peisach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:31:18 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not able to get molscript manual. If anybody knows the website
> please let me know.

http://www.avatar.se/molscript/doc/molscript.html

-Dan

---

From: Kevin Karplus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:57:34 -0700

The molscript manual is found in less than a second by using the google.com
search engine with
	molscript manual

Why do people continue to ask for websites that are so easily found?
Please, folks, use this list for questions where expert advice and
discussion is needed, not for questions that any high school student
should be able to answer.

---

From: Geoff Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:18:38 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Kevin,

Some possible answers to your questions.

1. Not everyone in the world is as priviliged as you and me in the speed
and ease with which they can connect to the internet.

2. Not everyone in the world has English as their first language and so
the internet can be hard to navigate and learn.

Oh yes, and since few countries in the world use the US education system
why should you expect people to know what a 'High School' is or how old
you have to be to go to one?

Please, lets keep this list helpful to all levels of questions related to
structure.

The URL you forgot to add to your email is:  

http://www.avatar.se/molscript/doc/molscript.html  and yes, it can be
found with www.google.co.uk

Geoff.

> should be able to answer.

------------------
Geoff Barton, EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute, Genome Campus,
Hinxton, Cambs CB10 1SD, U.K., mailto:[email-masked]
http://barton.ebi.ac.uk, Tel: +44 1223 494414, Fax: +44 1223 494496

---

From: "Larry A. DuLong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:14:08 -0400

I could not agree more forcefully with your comments. That respond was totally
inappropriate for this list. Kevin, you could of answered the question quicker
than typing your rude response. Thinking is not your high point, I guess!.

Larry

Geoff Barton wrote:

>     ***  Details on how to be removed from this list as well as an  ***
>     ***         archive of recent postings are available at         ***
>     ***             http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/forum.html              ***

---

From: "Lenin Dominguez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:46:15 -0500

Please,

Don't be agressive. Everything will be okay if all of us just answers
politely.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry A. DuLong" <[email-masked]>
To: "Geoff Barton" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Kevin Karplus" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: reg.molscript manual

---

From: Kevin Karplus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:51:29 -0700

I publically apologize to Govind for the tone of my previous message
about finding the molscript manual on the web.

Several people pointed out that I did not actually provide him or her
with website for the manual.  This was a deliberate, pedagogic
omission.  Instead of providing one URL, which might become obsolete,
I provided a general mechanism for finding the URL quickly, a method
that might prove useful for other similar questions.  

Indeed it is my fervent hope that many people on the mailing list will
have read the message and seen that they could answer their similar
questions (where can I find X on the web?) with the same mechanism,
and so avoid wasting the time of the 100s of researchers who read
these mailing lists to share their knowledge.

I spend some time trying to answer every question that comes in on the
pdb-l list and succeed on a fair fraction of them.  None of this
service is paid for, but I regard it as a fair exchange for the value
I get from the other participants on the PDB list.  Had the particular
desired web site been difficult to find, I would have spent a fair
amount of my time looking for it and been glad to be of assistance,
but I was irritated that someone would ask hundreds of other people to
look for something without first trying the obvious, standard methods.

My response was unnecessarily rude, but perhaps may be more memorable
for that.  If my rudeness has caused half a dozen people to decide to
learn to use google rather than risking an embarassing rude reply,
then it was worth the social cost to me.

Some people have pointed out that it is quite likely that Govind has
less web access than me.  Agreed, but Govind was asking for a website
for a substantial document, so must have web access sufficient for
getting to google.com.

---

From: "cbooth100" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:43:55 -0700

Please I am [email-masked] remove me from your communications. I have
asked to be removed from list on numerous occasions only to return there
must be some lonely dude out there all interested in molscript but I'm not
him thank you Claude
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Larry A. DuLong
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 4:14 PM
To: Geoff Barton
Cc: Kevin Karplus; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: reg.molscript manual

I could not agree more forcefully with your comments. That respond was
totally
inappropriate for this list. Kevin, you could of answered the question
quicker
than typing your rude response. Thinking is not your high point, I guess!.

Larry