Subject: Re: FYI: Current SPECfp landscape... (fwd)

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:21:09 +0200 (MET DST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:04:01 -0400
From: Bob Drzyzgula <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: FYI: Current SPECfp landscape...

Wes Bauske was kind enough to point out that
I could do the Pentium 4 system a bit more
cheaply. I'd missed the fact that Pentium 4
boards are available with 4 RIMM slots, so one
can use 256MB RIMMs, which are available at about
half the price per MB over the 512MB modules.
Thus, it should be possible to do a 1.5GHz Pentium
4 system for a core (CPU+MB+Memory) cost of around
$1300 or so. A 1.7GHz system would cost around
$100 more than that. Updated tables below. Also,
I added SPECfp2000/K$. Fascinating how the Pentium 4
comes out second in each one of these tables...

Thanks, Wes.

--Bob

Sorted in declining order of SPECfp2000:

                                                     Sfp/
Processor                   MHz  L2    Si Sfp core $  K$  Notes
-------------------------  ---- ----- --- --- ------ --- ----------
Alpha (21264)               833  8192 533 644  9,000  72 (UP2000+, est)
Pentium 4                  1700   256 586 608  1,400 434 (D850GB, RDRAM)
PA-8700                     750  N/A  603 581 14,000  42 (HP J6700, 2304KB L1)
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1330   256 539 445  2,000 223 (GA7DX, DDR SDRAM)
UltraSPARC III              750  8192 395 421  8,500  50 (Ocelot)
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1300   256 491 374    520 719 (A7V, PC133 SDRAM)
Pentium III (Coppermine)   1000   256 428 314  1,900 165 (VC820, RDRAM)
UltraSPARC II               480  8192 234 291 10,000  29 (AXdp)

Sorted in declining order of SPECint2000:

                                                     Sfp/
Processor                   MHz  L2    Si Sfp core $  K$  Notes
-------------------------  ---- ----- --- --- ------ --- ----------
PA-8700                     750  N/A  603 581 14,000  42 (HP J6700, 2304KB L1)
Pentium 4                  1700   256 586 608  1,400 434 (D850GB, RDRAM)
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1330   256 539 445  2,000 223 (GA7DX, DDR SDRAM)
Alpha (21264)               833  8192 533 644  9,000  72 (UP2000+, est)
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1300   256 491 374    520 719 (A7V, PC133 SDRAM)
Pentium III (Coppermine)   1000   256 428 314  1,900 165 (VC820, RDRAM)
UltraSPARC III              750  8192 395 421  8,500  50 (Ocelot)
UltraSPARC II               480  8192 234 291 10,000  29 (AXdp)

Sorted in order of increasing cost:

                                                     Sfp/
Processor                   MHz  L2    Si Sfp core $  K$  Notes
-------------------------  ---- ----- --- --- ------ --- ----------
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1300   256 491 374    520 719 (A7V, PC133 SDRAM)
Pentium 4                  1700   256 586 608  1,400 434 (D850GB, RDRAM)
Pentium III (Coppermine)   1000   256 428 314  1,900 165 (VC820, RDRAM)
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1330   256 539 445  2,000 223 (GA7DX, DDR SDRAM)
UltraSPARC III              750  8192 395 421  8,500  50 (Ocelot)
Alpha (21264)               833  8192 533 644  9,000  72 (UP2000+, est)
UltraSPARC II               480  8192 234 291 10,000  29 (AXdp)
PA-8700                     750  N/A  603 581 14,000  42 (HP J6700, 2304KB L1)

Sorted in declining order of SPECfp2000/K$
                                                     Sfp/
Processor                   MHz  L2    Si Sfp core $  K$  Notes
-------------------------  ---- ----- --- --- ------ --- ----------
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1300   256 491 374    520 719 (A7V, PC133 SDRAM)
Pentium 4                  1700   256 586 608  1,400 434 (D850GB, RDRAM)
AMD Athlon (Thunderbird)   1330   256 539 445  2,000 223 (GA7DX, DDR SDRAM)
Pentium III (Coppermine)   1000   256 428 314  1,900 165 (VC820, RDRAM)
Alpha (21264)               833  8192 533 644  9,000  72 (UP2000+, est)
UltraSPARC III              750  8192 395 421  8,500  50 (Ocelot)
PA-8700                     750  N/A  603 581 14,000  42 (HP J6700, 2304KB L1)
UltraSPARC II               480  8192 234 291 10,000  29 (AXdp)

_______________________________________________
Beowulf mailing list, [email-masked]
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:35:38 +0100

FYI:

An Intel/P4/1.7GHZ with 256 MByte Rambus memory, high quality fan, tested is $799 [case and P4 power supply add
$99] can be had from a quality source, WWW.JNCS.COM.  I've been using them for years.

John McKelvey

Eugene Leitl wrote:

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net 70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:39:32 +0100

Sorry..

In my previous post I forgot to mention that an ASUS/P4T motherboard is included...  Mobo/1.7GHZ CPU/Fan/256MBytes
RambusMemory=> $799.

John McKelvey