Subject: HPC for Genomics & Proteomics 1st Call

From: "Wendy Hori" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:04:35 -0400

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS
Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s 
High Performance Computing
Strategic Applications for Genomics & Proteomics
September 20-21, 2001
Wyndham San Diego at Emerald Plaza Hotel  San Diego, California

The success of the drug discovery process is now directly related to a
company’s computation capabilities. Results and research projects that were
unimaginable a few years ago are accessible with today’s super computers.
Industry sources expects the IT life science market to explode to more than $9
billion by 2003. Major IT companies have made significant investments and
formed partnerships, with IBM and Compaq each committing $100 million. Data
overload from automation and robust database technology, means that companies
have an immense amount of data on both drug targets and lead compounds.  The
downside is that these companies are not equipped in infrastructure or
organization to efficiently take full advantage of this gold mine.  There is
also the question of staff: Do we have the right people?  How do we use our
existing in-house bioinformatics team?  Should we outsource or build our own?
What’s a fair contract for services, profit-sharing and leasing? How many
teraflops is enough? This meeting will seek to cover these issues for biotech,
pharma , software  and hardware engineers, application specialists and anyone
who envisions the marriage of supercomputers and the life sciences. 

Other Topics to be Covered: 
Compute Farms
Distributed Computing
Clustering
Beowulf Architecture
Parallel Processing
Integrating Applications specific to Life Sciences
Data-compilation Automation
Achieving Better Performance with Database Work through Shared Memory Systems
Affordable Supercomputing: Supercomputers vs desktop compute farms
Novel Integrated Supercomputing Solutions to Help Scientists concentrate on
domain tasks, not on Computer Science.
Case Studies
Interoperability of Databases

If you would like to submit a proposal to give a presentation or display a
poster at this meeting please send us, by fax or email, a title and brief 3-5
sentence summary of a proposed topic on your recent work in the area of High
Performance Computing . The deadline for submission is May 11, 2001. All
proposals are subject to review by the Scientific Advisory Committee to ensure
the overall quality of the conference program.

For more information, please contact Wendy Hori at:
Cambridge Healthtech Institute, 1037 Chestnut Street, Newton Upper Falls, MA
02464
Tel: 617 630-1382 • Fax: 617 630-1325 • Email: [email-masked]
For sponsorship and exhibit information, please contact Jim MacNeil. Tel:
617-630-1341, Email: [email-masked]

To register on-line, please visit our web site: www.healthtech.com

Wendy Hori                                      
Conference Director                     
Cambridge Healthtech Institute          
1037 Chestnut St.                       
Newton Upper Falls, MA 02464
Phone: 617-630-1382
Fax: 617-630-1325
Email: [email-masked]
Check out our websites!
www.healthtech.com
www.beyondgenome.com
www.httexpo.com

---

From: "Dr. Richard L. Wood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:47:35 -0400

Hi all

Is anyone out there at ALL concerned about the
consequences of our "knowing" the human
genome?

That is to say, that throwing all the money in the
world at a, while seemingly well-intentioned,
research project won't necessarily keep it from
being used to discriminate.

Richard

--
Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Physical/Computational Chemist
Post-doctoral Associate
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853