Subject: PSC BIOMEDICAL WORKSHOPS 2001

From: Troy Wymore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:27:50 -0400 (EDT)

The following PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER BIOMEDICAL WORKSHOPS for
the summer of 2001 are being offered:

More information can be obtained at:

http://www.psc.edu/biomed/training/workshops/2001/index.html

******************************************

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS

July 8 - 13, 2001
Registration deadline is May 25, 2001

This intense five and one-half day workshop will teach the
basics of sequence analysis, including:
remote supercomputing; inferring structures and functions using internet
resources; database searching and pairwise sequence alignment; multiple
sequence alignments; pattern identification; inverse structure prediction
and homology modeling; and visualization of macromolecular structures.
Special emphasis will be placed on parameter selection, and the
mathematical and statistical foundations of the algorithms and methods
presented as well as the biological correlates of those foundations.
Information will also be provided on the latest pattern identification
techniques including hidden Markov models, advanced position-specific
weight matrix techniques, and bayesian estimation.

******************************************

METHODS AND APPLICATIONS OF MOLECULAR DYNAMICS TO BIOPOLYMERS

August 15 - 18, 2001-
Registration dealine is July 6, 2001

PSC will host "Methods and Applications of Molecular Dynamics to
Biopolymers." The workshop will familiarize biomedical researchers with
computational methods and provide practice in applying supercomputing
resources to problems of concern in molecular dynamics.
There will be lectures, extensive hands-on sessions, and discussion
of general aspects of molecular dynamics software. NAMD will be discussed
in detail. Participants are encouraged to work on the examples provided or
on their own experimental data. No prior supercomputing experience is
necessary.

A list of topics and other information is available at:

http://www.psc.edu/biomed/training/workshops/2001/mamd/index.html

******************************************