Subject: Re: CCL:phase information/orbitals question

From: "Jens Spanget-Larsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:36:46 +0100

Dr. Richard L. Wood:
 
> I think he means that the idea of an orbital is NOT a mathematical
> concept, but a "physical", i.e. from a physics point of view,
> concept.

Well, we apparently disagree. To me, the idea of "orbitals" in the 
case of a many electron system is basically a mathematical concept, 
since these "orbitals" have no physical reality.  But they do of 
course have physical significance, in so far as they are excellent 
approximate models in the rationalization of many kinds of physical 
and chemical behaviour.

Yours, Jens >--<  

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
JENS SPANGET-LARSEN         Phone: +45 4674 2000 (RUC)
Department of Chemistry            +45 4674 2710 (direct)
Roskilde University (RUC)   Fax:   +45 4674 3011 
P.O.Box 260                 E-Mail: [email-masked]
DK-4000 Roskilde, Denmark   http://virgil.ruc.dk/~jsl/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=