Subject: "Drug Design and creativity" conference, Assos Turkey, 2002

From: Marcel Linschoten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:00:58 +0200

Dear colleagues,

I am planning to organize a conference on the interface of (drug) design and
psychology.
Having worked in the field of Computer-Aided Drug Design (CADD) since 1982,
my experience is still that my best ideas for novel compounds just seem to
pop up at unexpected moments when I am not "officially" at work. Either
during a holiday, a walk or even when I have just woken up in the morning
and still somewhere between sleeping and awakening: those are the moments
the best ideas come. It seems that the subconscious plays an important role
in the creativity process. This is -of course- a well known fact. Everyone
is familiar with Kekulé's dream on the structure of benzene (a serpent
biting its own tail).

An interesting question is of course how we can stimulate creativity and
become better drug designers. Are there any proven ways of doing this? I
would like you to come up with possible names for the organizing comittee
for this conference, both creative drug designers with a proven record of
success as well as reknowned psychologists who have insight in the conscious
and subconscious components of creativity.

I suggest Assos in Turkey (Asia Minor) as an excellent site for such a
conference. Historical sites like Troy, Pergamum and Lesbos (Greece, just
off the coast) are in its immediate surroundings.

This conference is meant to be an interesting mix of drug design, creativity
and some philosophy about the future od CADD.

I am looking forward to your reactions. I will summarize your viewpoints for
the CCL.

regards

Marcel R. Linschoten, PhD
Principal Scientist
Medivir AB, Lunastigen 7 ,S-141 44 Huddinge, Sweden
mailto:[email-masked] , http://www.medivir.se
tel. direct. +46-8-608 31 35, mobile +46-70-648 18 97, fax. +46-8-608 31 88

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email transmission contains confidential or
legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual or
entity indicated in the email address. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance upon the contents of this transmission is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender so that Medivir can arrange for proper delivery, and then delete the
message from your inbox. Thank you.