Subject: GLw - GL Widget toolkit for Linux ?

From: Jan Torleif Pedersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:03:10 +0200

Subject: GLw - GL Widget toolkit for Linux ?
From: Jan Torleif Pedersen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 23:33:55 +0200

Greetings chemists,

I am in the process of rewriting an old molecular graphics toolkit and
would like it to be both portable and flexible.

OpenGL is an obvious chice for the molecule display, a number of
integrations of OpenGL into the X windows system are available. Some
integrations are smooth and use the GLU toolkit, but limited in user
control. The other option is GLX which allows low level control, but
does require a substantial amount of programming. A good solution
appears to be the GLw or GL Widget library supplied by SGI and as far as
I recall it is also avalable for IBM platforms.

I have not seen any public domain GLw libraries - is anybody aware of
the existence of such a toolkit for Linux ? and if so does it work with
Mesa ?

				--- Jan

Dr. Jan T. Pedersen
Computational Chemistry Group
H. Lundbeck A/S
Ottiliavej 9
2500 Valby
Denmark
[email-masked]