Subject: atom names in PDB files

From: Vemparala Satyavani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:32:08 -0500 (CDT)

Iam new to PDB files. Iam having problems trying to correlate between the
atom names in the file and the atoms in the actual structure of amino
acids. for example the first three lines of glutamine acid in a protein
are:

ATOM      1  N   GLN A   1      63.870 -23.035  -4.001  1.00  2.09
MCP1 N  
ATOM      2  CA  GLN A   1      65.000 -22.112  -3.695  1.00  1.89
MCP1 C  
ATOM      3  C   GLN A   1      64.534 -20.647  -3.880  1.00  1.67
MCP1 C  

my question is there are 2 Nitrogens, 5 carbons etc.,..in Glutamine
residue. how would i know which corresponds to what?

Thanks
vani

---

From: "Nick Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:33:23 +0100

<color><param>7F00,0000,0000</param>> Iam new to PDB files. Iam having problems trying to correlate between the

> residue. how would i know which corresponds to what?

</color>The following URL should provide all the information you need:

	 <smaller>http://pdb.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/pdb/docs/format/pdbguide2.2/guide2.2_frame.html

<bigger>Nick

<nofill>
*****************************************************************

Nick Rhodes, Computational Information Systems Research Group, 
Department of Information Studies, University of Sheffield, 
Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street, Sheffield, 
South Yorkshire, S1 4DP, United Kingdom.