Subject: NAMD 2.3 Release Announcement

From: Jim Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:38:48 -0500 (CDT)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                                                    |
|                   NAMD 2.3 Release Announcement                    |
|                                                                    |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

                                                      August 2, 2001

The Theoretical Biophysics Group at the University of Illinois is
proud to announce the public release of a new version of NAMD, a
parallel, object-oriented molecular dynamics code designed for
high-performance simulation of large biomolecular systems.  NAMD is
distributed free of charge and includes source code.  NAMD development
is supported by the NIH National Center for Research Resources.

NAMD 2.3 has several advantages over NAMD 2.2:

- AMBER file compatibility (parm and coordinate input only).

- The new psfgen tool for building PSF structure files.

- Simpler to run on a single workstation.  (No more rsh!)

- New ports to the Compaq AlphaServer SC, Scyld Beowulf, and Mac OS X.

- Improved serial performance, particularly with PME on Alpha.

NAMD is available from http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/.

For your convenience, NAMD has been ported to and will be installed on
both the PSC TCS1 Alpha cluster and the NCSA Platinum Linux cluster.
Please consider the performance advantages of running NAMD when you
apply for time on these new resources.  Benchmarks for your proposal
are available at http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/performance.html

The Theoretical Biophysics Group encourages NAMD users to be closely
involved in the development process through reporting bugs, contributing
fixes, periodical surveys and via other means.  Questions or comments
may be directed to [email-masked].

We are eager to hear from you, and thank you for using our software!