Subject: Problem on memory.

From: "dwang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:08:37 +0800

Dear cclers,
I just bought a pc with p4 1.7G, 1G memory, asus mainboard(in the manual it can support memory up to 2G). OS is windows98. When i run Gaussian98, I can't set the memory distributed to G98 more than 250MB, and if I start the Norton Antivirous real-time scan, i can't run ms-dos because of low memory(information on the computer) but I think that no more than 500MB memory is used at the time. Where is the rest memory? If i remove 500MB memory, everything goes ok except that I still can't set the memory to G98 more than 250MB. Why??? Is it because of G98 or Win98? Any advices will be appreciated.

Wang Dongqi
Dept. of Chemistry
Univ. of HongKong
Pokfulam Road
HongKong
Tel: (852)28598947

---

From: Mikael Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:54:48 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello Wang and All!

Windows 95/98/ME can not properly handle systems with more memory than
512MB. See http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP
You need Linux or Windows 2000.

Have a nice day,
    Mikael J.

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, dwang wrote:

> I just bought a pc with p4 1.7G, 1G memory, asus mainboard(in the
> manual it can support memory up to 2G). OS is windows98. When i run
> Gaussian98, I can't set the memory distributed to G98 more than 250MB,
> and if I start the Norton Antivirous real-time scan, i can't run ms-dos
> because of low memory(information on the computer) but I think that no
> more than 500MB memory is used at the time. Where is the rest memory? If
> i remove 500MB memory, everything goes ok except that I still can't set
> the memory to G98 more than 250MB. Why??? Is it because of G98 or Win98?
> Any advices will be appreciated.