Subject: It is time for CCL fund raiser... My hand is trembling {:-)}

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:06:07 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Netters,

This is just a thank you note to all of you for supporting CCL list
with your input, output, contributions, donations, and purchases.
We are "in business" for more than 10 years thanks to your support and
participation. There are not that many lists which are academically based
and keep going for so long. It feels good... {:-)}.

Please make sure that you view the page:

      http://www.ccl.net/cgi-bin/donors

(BTW, if I missed someone, bug me immediately -- I am a very poor accountant).

and share my thanks to those who make the CCL running not only through their
contributions to CCL discussions, but also through their donations or
purchases.

This summer we were in operation without major breakdowns, though we are
constantly under attack. I was peeking mostly every day from my laptop
in Poland, but I could not do much due to the latency. Students were keeping
the operation running. We got lots of viruses, since many of our
subscribers are using MS Windows, and when they have the [email-masked]
in their address books, we get the viral presents from them.

Our filters were quite vigilant about the viruses, but human still needs
to see each and every message, since filters work under the principle:
"Better safe than sorry". We also saved you from a lot of mail about
new "EXCITING" sites, new "DEALS", greatest "FREE OFFERS", and other
junk mail. Thanks to you though, we had a stream of very good messages and
summaries, which make CCL worth subscribing to.

But now, I need to ask you again for your help. I have a group of devoted
students who do the chores and development for CCL, and I would greatly
appreciate your assistance. Keeping this resource running requires a lot
of manual work and maintenance. Computers break, wires fall, lights go off,
hackers break in, viruses spread, and disks go bad... You know the feeling...
For students who work for CCL, this is a great opportunity to do something
useful, learn, and get some pocket money (Yes, I wish I could pay them more,
but... -- they volunteer a lot, but still, the income is what makes them
come to work for CCL rather than for McDonalds). So your donations
or purchases HELP A LOT!!! You can either donate us some money, or buy CD Set
with CCL archives from us (you will be normally billed, we accept all forms of
payments). So please look at our page:

     http://search.ccl.net/chemistry/aboutccl/supporting/

and consider helping CCL so I can have student assistants next quarter.

If you cannot help financially, try to ask your boss, if he/she can. 
If your boss is not willing, try to contribute software to our archives,
try to answer questions on CCL, or maybe ask thoughtful questions yourself
to keep this resource lively and useful to computational chemists.

Thank you for your past and present contributions and support and the feeling
that CCL is useful and popular.

Jan Labanowski

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/