Subject: Re: SSE & compilers (fwd)

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:26:03 +0200 (MET DST)

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204/">leitl</a>
______________________________________________________________
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204
57F9CFD3: ED90 0433 EB74 E4A9 537F CFF5 86E7 629B 57F9 CFD3

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:11:59 +0200 (CEST)
From: David van der Spoel <[email-masked]>
To: Dan Kirkpatrick <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: SSE & compilers

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Dan Kirkpatrick wrote:

>1. What do you know about SSE ? Apparently the p III and P 4 have extra
>hardware for fp work which is ignored by current compilers but can buy big
>factors in speed...
>we can code in assembler for it pretty easily if the PIII prcocessors have
>it.  Comments?
We have rewritten the inner loops of our molecular dynamics code GROMACS
(http://www.gromacs.org) using SSE (and 3DNow!). This roughly doubles the
performance on Pentium 3's. You do need a 2.4 kernel for SSE, 3DNow will
work with recent 2.2 kernels as well. Note that it is single precision
only on P3's. P4's can also do double precision SSE, but only with twofold
unrolling (SIMD) compared to 4-fold in single precision. This effectively
halves the performance.

>2. Apparently there are several optimizing compilers out there (like
>portland) which do better than gcc.  Any suggestions?  Information on costs?
YMMV but Portland did not help more than 5% on our MD code (the C/Fortran
version that is).

Groeten, David.
________________________________________________________________________
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
Husargatan 3, Box 576,  	75123 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
[email-masked]	[email-masked]   http://zorn.bmc.uu.se/~spoel
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

_______________________________________________
Beowulf mailing list, [email-masked]
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf