Subject: Re: CCL:Help for ssh!

From: Alexander Hofmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:26:52 +0200 (MEST)

Hi William,

look at SGI's webpage ftp://freeware.sgi.com/index-by-alpha.html
for precompiled versions of openssh and openssl, or use the IRIX Freeware
6.5 CD of your IRIX distribution (recommended due to security
problems only, if you've got maintenance).

Yours

Alex

---

Dr. Alexander Hofmann
Institute for Applied Chemistry Berlin-Adlershof
P.O. Box 96 11 56       Richard-Willstaetter-Str. 12

D-12474 Berlin          D-12489 Berlin

[email-masked]

Tel.: +49-30-6392-4408
Fax.: +49-30-6392-4350

http://www.aca-berlin.de

---

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

On the CCL Web site there are my notes on installation of Web servers
and servlets/JSP stuff in 
    http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/
Among them, there are my notes on installing Apache on IRIX.
In the IRIX notes, there is a blurb on ssh installation on IRIX.
You can have a look at these.
Note that the notes are a few months old, i.e., obsolete. But the principles
hopefully still apply.

Jan
Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: [email-masked] 
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.ccl.net/

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, William Wei wrote:

> Hi, Dear CClers,
> 
> I want a free software of ssh server code for IRIX6.5 in SGI octane
> workstation. I have download openssh and ossh, but they all can not be
> compiled successfully in my machine.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
> 
> William.
>

---

From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:49:03 -0400

The IRIX compiler does have some well-documented quirks 
which cause problems with some versions of ssh.  Some
combinations of IRIX- and ssh-versions are easier to
compile than others.  In fact, sometimes even the older
gcc compiler on IRIX works best... but not always.  As
I recall, the IRIX gcc does not work well with the commercial
version of ssh-3.0.

There are many excellent resources concerning SSH located on
the web.  One of the better places to start is:

	http://www.freessh.org/   .

To actually get advice or to announce a bug, then one should
sign up for the mailing list... it is a very active list,
so don't expect to keep your mailbox empty.

As always, be sure that you have read read the FAQs before
posting questions. Here is an abridged list of sites:

   FAQs:
	http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html
	http://www.tigerlair.com/ssh/faq/

   List Archives:
	http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh-archive/
	http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/121

To subscribe send an empty e-mail from you present account to

   [email-masked] -''- 

  Or, if you want to subscribe some other address, then send
  an e-mail to:

     secureshell-unsubscribe-address=[email-masked]

           - where = stands for @.

  Likewise, to unsubscribe, send an e-mail to

     [email-masked] -''- 

  Or, for a different address, then send an e-mail to

     secureshell-unsubscribe-address=[email-masked]

           - where = stands for @.

SSH works well with tcp-wrappers, and this combination provides
a reasonable level of security.

Gary

_____________________________________________________________________

Gary Strahan, Ph.D.                 [email-masked]
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences    Phone:  USA-410-706-3118
University of Maryland at Baltimore      FAX:    USA-410-706-0346
_____________________________________________________________________

  Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
  This email address may not be added to any commercial mail 
  list with out permission.   Violation of this statute with
  advertisements, SPAM, or other unrequested mail will result 
  in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for 
  repeats.