Subject: SUMMARY:SSH on SGI IRIX6.5

From: William Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:28:16 -0400

Hi, Dear CCLers:

Two days ago, I ask help from here for the ssh problems. I have received
a lot of replies and got a lot of useful informations. I just show my
thanks to all of these friends. Here is a brief summary. for SSH and my
resolution:

From: Szilveszter Juhos:
Hello, I did compiled ssh[d] for Irix though it was not an easy thing
first time. I know its a nightmare, you can download it from the
Cambridge Univ
site: http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/CD/UCAM_SSH_CD_05/IRIX

The problem is the sshd. If you need it, from the Irix freeware site you

should to download automake, m4, autoconf and GNU make than compile the
required libs (./configure; make install is the usual method). I spent a

whole day, the current version I have is _very_ old.

From: Aniko Simon
We also use ssh, i.e.:
OpenSSH_2.5.1p2 compiled successfully on <our_machine> (IRIX 6.5).
That's what we are using...

From: Simon BERNECHE

There's a pre-compiled version of openssh on SGI web site:

  http://freeware.sgi.com/index-by-alpha.html

From: Eugene Leitl
Have you tried http://ssh.com/products/ssh/download.cfm
What is the error message you get? Are you using GNU compilers?

From: Jan Labanowski
On the CCL Web site there are my notes on installation of Web servers
and servlets/JSP stuff in
    http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/
Among them, there are my notes on installing Apache on IRIX.
In the IRIX notes, there is a blurb on ssh installation on IRIX.
You can have a look at these.
Note that the notes are a few months old, i.e., obsolete. But the
principles
hopefully still apply.

From: Rajarshi Guha
How was the openssl installed? If it was from source did you do a make
install? You would also need to update the library paths (I don't know
the
command on IRIX). You could also specifiy the library path of openssl in

the configure command in the openssh directory.

And from many others who gave the same informations. The following is my
resolution:

After I read the config.log. I found the openssl-0.9.6a is a 64bit lib.
But openssh-2.9p2 is 32bit program. Maybe I do not know how to compile
it with 64 bit. Anyone knows? So I downloaded the old version
openssl-0.9.5a, for the openssh-2.9p2 does not work well with it, I
compiled openssh-2.1.1p3. Now it works well.

I hope this can help these who work with IRIX and want to use SSH!

William.

--
William Wei                    Tel: 1-416-946-7551
Faculty of Pharmacy            Fax: 1-416-978-8511
19 Russell Street              Email: [email-masked]
Toronto, ON. M6G 3P7
Canada.