Subject: Cluster Symposium

From: "Scott Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:39:41 -0700

Please excuse me if you get duplicates of this message.
Dear Colleague:

I am organizing a symposium on "The Chemical and Physical Properties of
Supported and Isolated Metal Nanoclusters" for the Division of Chemical
Physics of The American Physical Society. The symposium is an attempt to get
together a wide selection of groups active in cluster deposition, cluster
chemistry, cluster-based materials, and related areas. The format will
include a contributed talks, and I encourage you to submit a contributed
paper for oral presentation, if you are working in an area related to the
topic. The symposium (APS calls it a special focus topic) will be at the
annual March Meeting of The American Physical Society to be held March
18-22, 2002 in Indianapolis, IN in the Indiana State Convention Center.
Complete abstract submission instructions can be found at the APS web site.
http://www.aps.org/meet/MAR02/. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is
5:00 pm EST December 7, 2001. The topic number of the symposium is DCP
Special Focus Topic 11.9.1

Invited Speakers:

U. Heiz (U. Ulm), A. Nakajima (Keio U.), J. Murakami(AIST, Nagoya), C. Binns
(U. Leicester), W. Harbich (Ecole Polytech. Lausanne), S. Anderson (U.
Utah), D. W. Goodman (Texas A&M), M. Duncan (U. Georgia), T. Kondow (Toyota
Tech.), J. Parks (Rowland Inst), U. Landman (Ga. Tech).

Chemical and Physical Properties of Supported and Isolated Metal
Nanoclusters (DCP)

Supported metal nanoclusters are important in many catalysts and in other
materials applications. It is known that the chemical and materials
properties of supported clusters depend strongly on parameters such as
cluster size, morphology, and oxidation state, and also on support
properties such as defect structure and redox behavior, however, the origin
of the effects is not understood. Recently, there have been major advances
in the study of supported clusters using both deposition of size-selected
clusters and controlled nucleation of clusters on supports. Simultaneously,
new spectroscopic, diffraction, and imaging methods have been developed that
allow detailed study of isolated clusters. This focus session will provide a
forum for discussion and comparison of different approaches to probing the
relationships between the physical, chemical, and materials properties of
metal nanoclusters. Experimental and theoretical papers are solicited in any
related area, including, but not limited to: Deposition of energy and/or
mass-selected clusters, Growth, mobility, properties of cluster on surfaces.
Physical and chemical properties of isolated (gas-phase) metal clusters.
Nano-cluster-based catalysts or materials.  Theory on clusters or
cluster-support interactions.

Prof. Scott L. Anderson
Department of Chemistry
University of Utah
315 S. 1400 E. Rm 1216
Salt Lake City, UT  84112
(801)585-7289
FAX(801)581-8433
www.chem.utah.edu/chemistry/faculty/anderson/anderson.html