Subject: Life Sciences Standards for the 21st Century

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:48:42 -0500

[with apologies to everyone who receives more copies of this invitation 
than desired]

Colleagues: 

Five minutes to change the world (of life science software)!

The OMG Life Sciences Research (LSR) Domain Task Force (see: http://lsr.omg.org) provides an open forum for the collaborative development of standards 
and specifications to support software and information interoperation. To 
date, the LSR has developed standards for (and LSR members and others have 
developed implementations of) sequence analysis, genomic maps, 
macromolecular structures, bibliographic search, and laboratory instrument 
control. Additional work is underway in the areas of chemical structures, 
gene expression, and laboratory workflow. 
We are interested in addressing the areas of greatest interest and need 
for interoperability in the life sciences research community.  We have, 
therefore, developed a brief "Industry Survey" to seek your advice in 
identifying and prioritizing topics for future standards development work. 
 This survey is intended for everyone interested in improved life sciences 
research software: commercial and academic; developers, vendors, and 
software users; OMG members and non-members.  Survey answers will be kept 
confidential and only presented in statistical summary. 
So, here's how you can help create better software for life science 
research:  please take a few minutes to go to http://lsr.ebi.ac.uk/survey/survey_form.html and give your answers to the questions there.  And please share this 
invitation with your interested colleagues.

Thank you very much, 

David Benton, GlaxoSmithKline, LSR Co-Chair 
James Fry, Pfizer, LSR Cheminformatics Working Group Co-Chair 
Doug Greer, San Diego Supercomputer Center, LSR Macromolecular Structure 
Working Group Chair 
Karl Konnerth, Incyte Genomics, LSR Co-Chair 
Scott Markel, NetGenics, LSR Co-Chair 
Tony Parsons, Pfizer,  LSR LECIS Working Goup, Co-Chair 
Thorsten Richter, Creon-Lab-Control, LSR LECIS Working Goup, Co-Chair 
Richard Scott, De Novo Pharmaceuticals, LSR Cheminformatics Working Group 
Co-Chair 
Martin Senger, European Bioinformatics Institute, LSR Workflow Working 
Group Chair 
Torsten Staab, Los Alamos National Laboratory, LSR LECIS Working Group 
Co-Chair 
Charles Troup, Agilent, LSR Gene Expression Working Group Chair