Subject: Re: CCL:collation of responses on ab initio/first principles

From: Christoph van Wüllen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:10:36 +0100

>
>Even the integrals need NOT be evaluated EXACTLY for a method to be called
>ab initio. For instance, Gaussian employs several asymptotic and other
>cutoffs to approximate integral evaluation.
>
This is only partly a valid argument.
Are sin(x), cos(x), exp(x) etc. calculated "analytically" on any 
computer? They are computed with similar methods, so erf(x) or F0(x) 
(or a two-electron integral) is as analytical as any other 
transcendental function.

+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Prof. Christoph van Wüllen      | Tele-Phone (+49) (0)30 314 27870 |
| Technische Universität Sekr. C3 | Tele-Fax   (+49) (0)30 314 23727 |
| Straße des 17. Juni 135         | eMail                            |
| D-10623 Berlin, Germany         | [email-masked] |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------+
--