Subject: I need help...

From: "Dr. Richard L. Wood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:25:07 -0500

Hi all

When I was a graduate student, my thesis advisor took us out to lunch at
the end of each semester.
Anyway, on one of the these lunch outings he called us all "nerds"
because some of us were writing
equations on the disposable table cloth.  In actuality, we were
discussing the fact that if one
calculates the energy of a given molecule in different programs, one
gets different values.  The reason for
this is how the zero of energy is defined.

Well, my advisor was right.  I am a nerd, and as such I can fix most
computer related problems.  However,
the one that I have now has me stumped.

I just upgraded my home pc from a 586/133 MHz machine running Win98 to a
new Pentium4/1800 MHz
machine running WinXP.  Of course, I'm still trying to get hardware and
software to work.  I've already
lost one hard drive, a tape drive and a CD-RW.  Software is another
story.

I have/had been using HyperChem version 5.  Now I find that it doesn't
"work".  It will open and one can try
to "build" a molecule, but all you can do is add whatever the default
element is to the screen.  You can't change the elememt, you can't
minimize, you can't even open or save files.  I haven't tried
reinstalling it,
but I'm afraid that probably won't help.

Does anybody have any advice or suggestions besides upgrading to a newer
version (which I can't afford)?

Thanks,
Richard

--
Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Physical/Computational Chemist
Post-doctoral Associate
Department of Food Science
120 Stocking Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853

---

From: "Phillip D. Matz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:55:52 -0800

Richard,

Make sure you have the parallel port (and service) enabled.

I had the same problem regarding saving files in HyperChem and it turned out
I had disabled my parallel port in the BIOS and as such the HyperChem
service (software dongle) could not start.  I even go so far as installing
dummy printer drivers to use LPT1 so WIN2K keeps the parallel port service
started (maybe overkill but the solution makes HyperChem work).  Good luck!

Respectfully,

Phil

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Richard L. Wood" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 11:25 AM
Subject: CCL:I need help...

> -= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
> [email-masked] -- To Everybody  | [email-masked] -- To
Admins
> [email-masked] -- HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH
> [email-masked] -- archive search    |    Gopher: gopher.ccl.net
70
> Ftp: ftp.ccl.net  |  WWW: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/   | Jan:
[email-masked]